Skip to main content

Estimating new job adding to the sprint in progress

Last post 03:44 pm February 20, 2019 by Daniel Wilhite
4 replies
06:29 pm February 16, 2019

Hi, I'm new on Scrum and I hope to pass my certification PSM1 soon. So, reviewing the Scrum Guide, I remark the following:

As new work is required, the Development Team adds it to the Sprint Backlog. As work is performed or completed, the estimated remaining work is updated. When elements of the plan are deemed unnecessary, they are removed. Only the Development Team can change its Sprint Backlog during a Sprint

I understand the Dev Team can add or remove work from the Sprint Backlog, but what happen if this new job to add was not estimated (poker planning) , when this estimation is done and by who ? This is important to not affect the burn-down, burn-up and/or cumulative flow.

10:36 pm February 19, 2019

Can the Development Team assess (without estimation) whether new work to meet the Sprint Goal can be accommodated within the current sprint?

10:43 pm February 19, 2019

I understand the Dev Team can add or remove work from the Sprint Backlog, but what happen if this new job to add was not estimated (poker planning) , when this estimation is done and by who ?

Why not estimate it on a just-in-time basis, and determine the likely impact accordingly?

This is important to not affect the burn-down, burn-up and/or cumulative flow.

Why do you think it is important not to affect burn-down, burn-up, and/or cumulative flow?

01:48 pm February 20, 2019

Thanks a lot Ian,

You right, the Dev Team could just estimate it on a just-in time basis.

Now what I understand is the Dev Team decides the story items to be completed during the sprint, this is going to be independent of the story points completed in the past, and the flow is just an information to estimate the velocity but is not a commitment about the items to be completed in the present nor future sprints.

03:44 pm February 20, 2019

...but what happen if this new job to add was not estimated (poker planning) , 

Planning poker is not part of Scrum. It is a technique that has gained a lot of popularity but is not actually required. Had to get that off my chest first.  For the rest of your questions. 

but what happen if this new job to add was not estimated

when this estimation is done and by who ?

Humans by nature will estimate work when confronted with it. So I would bet that if asked, every one of the Development Team has an estimated effort of work for that item you are mentioning. How difficult would it be to do a quick "How big is this?" question when the discussion occurs to pull it in? 

From the Scrum Guide section on the Product Backlog

The Development Team is responsible for all estimates. The Product Owner may influence the Development Team by helping it understand and select trade-offs, but the people who will perform the work make the final estimate.

That should answer your "who" question.

And @Ian's last question was the only other thing I was going to include but he beat me to it. 

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.