Skip to main content

Scrum has pre-scribed events, has immutable components, yet is a framework, not a methodoloy?

Last post 05:32 pm February 19, 2019 by Timothy Baffa
4 replies
06:49 pm February 16, 2019

Hi Everyone,

As I was reading through articles, I wanted to strengthen my knowledge of a framework vs a methodology. In doing so, I landed upon this article below:

https://www.projectmanagement.com/articles/278600/Why-Youre-Confusing-F…

The above article in summary says that a framework is loose and flexible whereas "A methodology is much more prescriptive"

The scrum guide also has the word "prescribe" twice. It also says that "Scrum’s roles, events, artifacts, and rules are immutable", (immutable = rigid, cannot be changed)

I even found this article https://guntherverheyen.com/2013/03/21/scrum-framework-not-methodology/  and even in this there is the mention of scrum being low-prescriptive.

I am trying to understand and solidify why scrum should not be considered a methodology especially when words like immutable, prescribe technically lean towards rigidity as opposed to flexibility. In a recent topic, i even asked why a scrum master should not take accountability of the backlog as that's what the scrum guide says, when another peer advised that flexibility by doing so would make us more agile. If a framework allows such flexibility, then wasn't I wrong in coaching the separation of duties of the PO and the SM?

10:28 am February 17, 2019

Understanding the difference between a framework and a methodology is important, and it's vital to know how prescriptive a system you need; but in my opinion there is more value in approaching Scrum in as light-weight manner as possible, than arguing about which of the two words are used.

Even when things are prescribed, the Scrum Guide is still pretty vague about how a lot of them are done: the Sprint Retrospective could be done while enjoying a picnic on a lovely Summer afternoon, for instance. Refinement is commonly assumed to be a meeting, but large parts of it could be done by individual team members as they inspect the top of the Product Backlog.

If you follow Scrum without anything else, you won't get anywhere. You need something that enables the Product Backlog Items to turn into an Increment, even if it is just an implied process.

Scrum really avoids telling you how to do that, so I would say it's a framework.

It is always possible to stop following parts of Scrum, or to even actively break the rules, but then it's misleading to call it Scrum. At that point you're on your own, as advice about getting the best from Scrum might cease being as effective, and you might need to find new ways to compensate for the lost transparency that Scrum would provide.

As the Scrum Guide says, just after one of parts you quoted:

…although implementing only parts of Scrum is possible, the result is not Scrum. Scrum exists only in its entirety and functions well as a container for other techniques, methodologies, and practices.

05:43 pm February 17, 2019

As a framework, Scrum will never provide you with exact processes or show you exactly how to deal with problems. Instead, it provides a set of rules and relies on the team to find the best possible solution ;)

07:17 pm February 18, 2019

Look at the dictionary definition of framework. https://www.dictionary.com/browse/framework

noun

• a skeletal structure designed to support or enclose something.
  • frame or structure composed of parts fitted and joined together.
  • the construction or sale of frames.
  • work done in, on, or with a frame

Frameworks provide some rules or as I refer to them guide rails in order to provide the structure and support needed.  If you work in an organization that does software development there are many frameworks that can be used for developing. Every one of those frameworks I know of has some boundaries that you need to adhere to.

The immutable parts of Scrum are the structure needed to ensure you are supported by the framework. 

Does that help?

05:32 pm February 19, 2019

Methodology: the system of methods and principles used in a particular discipline

Agile is a methodology.   Scrum is a framework that closely follows an Agile methodology.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.