Skip to main content

Can we Scrum with Nexus?

Last post 07:03 am February 26, 2019 by Ionut-Adrian Bejenaru
4 replies
09:09 am February 22, 2019

Hi community.

I want to check with you few assumptions please.

1. Canceling a Nexus. There is no guidance around this. Assumption: we need to fallback to the Scrum guide where the action to cancel to a Sprint is in place. Ok and, what if this creates a butterfly effect and Nexus becomes absolute? On a positive note I guess this reinforce the need of a sole Product Owner.
  2. Nexus can't be use if you have more than 9 teams. Why the limitation - what is the logic behind? Assumption: I assume that anything big than this is in fact over - engineering and waste.
  3. Product Owner availability. I can imagine that with several number of teams can be a problem to be present everywhere is needed. In a world where we should leave room for learning and creativity and thus do not create exhaustive requirements it is most likely that the Sprint backlogs will evolve in a very dynamic way. Most likely product owner attention will be needed. How we deal with this when it is clearly an impediment? Assumption: We should have a product owner team - where multiple product owner work together however overall responsibilities resides only with one of them.

Thank you in advance.

IB 

08:42 pm February 22, 2019

1. A Nexus would only be cancelled if the Product became obsolete, and the Scrum Teams which constitute the Nexus are no longer needed. Is that what you mean, or are you referring to Sprint cancellation?

2. The ability to collaborate becomes attenuated when more than 9 parties are involved. If more than 9 teams are needed to build a Product, what are your thoughts on how to approach the matter?

3. What does the Scrum Guide say about trying to vest product ownership in a group? Shouldn’t the 3-9 teams within a Nexus be able to self-organize in such a way that a Product Owner is accessible, and shouldn’t the PO be able to manage his or her time effectively? If not, is everyone ready for Scaled Professional Scrum?

01:15 pm February 23, 2019

Thank you Ian for taking the time to reply.

1. I was referring to the Sprint cancellation - although I must admit it is unclear what is the Sprint in Nexus. I assume, all teams within the Nexus constitute a Sprint. Hence - If a team within the Nexus finds it's goal obsolete it should trigger a new Nexus Sprint Planning session. It rather more complicate as being within a Nexus coordination it is required.

How do you see this Ian?

2.1 WIP. I would first try to see if there is absolutely no way to reduce scope of the MVP so that the degree of scaling is manageable.

2.2 Stretch. If the features selected for the MVP are reduce to the absolute minimum required to release a first version  of the product - I would try to stretch, adding few more teams and check if we are still able to self-organize on a single backlog and a single PO.

2.3 Divide. When none of the above it is possible and the product is definitely way bigger than we can successfully organize within a Nexus - I would look for ways to create discrete products. Perhaps per region, interface, service, variation etc. I would explore for a such architecture that would allow multiple Nexuses run independently. With this I expect that at some point we need to expect diminishing returns.

What am I missing?

3. This is the root of this post. I was concern that Scrum at Scale adds too much admin work and dilution of clear product ownership and availability. Hence, the entrepreneur spirit of true atomic Scrum teams may fade. It is very clear there is no shared responsibility - there is only ONE responsible for the outcome of the development teams. I was emphatic I guess - How it is possible to do such a task....

But now you triggered me:

able to self-organize --> I see now that when we scale Scrum we need to look past typical one product one team and self-organizations capabilities of the team. We need to grow once more and be able to self-organize in tandem with multiple teams and act as a whole.

ready for --> I see now how it is not for everyone and scaling comes with its own characteristics - it may not be possible for all to successfully scale.

Scaled Professional Scrum --> It is no free lunch. I was tricked because everywhere you look now you see scaled delivery. It is like there are no constrains to do it. But I see now in fact there is.

I would like to add a final note. Why very few organizations seem to care about the implications and constrains of the scale factors? Is it because they are oblivious or disrespectful?

Thank you in advance.

11:59 pm February 25, 2019

If a team within the Nexus finds it's goal obsolete it should trigger a new Nexus Sprint Planning session.

Why, when the overarching Nexus Sprint Goal might still remain valid?

What am I missing?

The preferred option should be to descale the organization and the challenge faced, rather than to seek recourse to a scaling mechanism. The WIP/Stretch/Divide techniques you outline seem reasonable.

However, the more you try to scale, the closer you get to an organization working in its own unique context, and the harder it is to abstract a generalized scaling framework. There may well be a Nexus+ which is useful beyond Nexus, but it is harder to elicit its rules.

I would like to add a final note. Why very few organizations seem to care about the implications and constrains of the scale factors? Is it because they are oblivious or disrespectful?

Do they care about the empirical process control which first ought to be demonstrated by even just one small team?

07:03 am February 26, 2019

Thank you Ian for taking the time to help the community.

Why, when the overarching Nexus Sprint Goal might still remain valid?

It is clear now regarding Nexus Sprint, overarching Goal and cancellation - further on discussion will be splitting hairs.

Do they care about the empirical process control which first ought to be demonstrated by even just one small team?

The evidence says they do not. At this point we are 15 teams in a project following SAFe setup. My intention it is not to blame the tool as the success depends on us. Nonetheless I would like to share with you few mechanisms In SAFe that obfuscate transparency:

• Emphasis on bigger is better;
  • 'Done' inflation - at this point we have 4 types of done;
  • Design & Discovery 'Sprints' - where it is ok to not get things done. Creates a dangerous precedent;
  • Cool off sprint at the end of the PI;
  • There's no single clear owner responsible for the product. In my setup there are more than 10;

It fair to say that it doesn't matter what scaling process it is used if the organization it is not ready and empirical process control is not honored.

PS: I will try Nexus in a parallel project to check the differences;

Thank you Ian and Scrum.org.

Awesome community - respect.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.