Skip to main content

Individual Responsibility and Individual Time Management

Last post 07:25 pm February 26, 2019 by Daniel Wilhite
2 replies
07:44 pm February 24, 2019

I would like to better understand something that appears to be a conflict regarding team effort vs individual responsibility. I have done a lot of research on my own to hammer this out but only found more conflict and confusion.

My guess, I do not know what I do not know. Can you please point me to the documents I must read to fill in my knowledge gap as I am utterly confused.

Let's assume every User story is a feature request for a web site. 

As a team, you would discuss a User Story and estimate how many Story-Points it will take, in this team you have a FrontEnd Engineer, a Back End Engineer, a DBA, and a UI Designer, etc..  all of which must participate in each User Story. The team comes to the conclusion that the User Story will take 8 story points. Those points remain a constant once agreed to. 

They agree upon a sprint. 

Work begins.

Do these members of the team not own individual tasks that they estimate. Would you not own that task/code and estimate that item so you can track the developer skill at time estimation or is this counter-intuitive to the team approach? I have found this in products, but not in Scrum documents (that I have read)?

In some teams where developers are not Full Stack developers, do you not end up with one member completing work quickly (simple API End Points) and moving on while other team members are taking on heavy code (Front End Interface and components), and thus with this approach you end with developers sitting around doing nothing. My understanding is you do not want this developer moving on to other features. 

• Is this a sign you need a more well-rounded team and that would be the remedy to this problem? Or is it normal to have a developer with nothing to do sometimes? 
  • Is this an issue of me wrapping my head around the concept that individual time management approach does not really work well in software teams, you have to consider the team in order to get this done effectively?

Many Thanks.

11:22 pm February 25, 2019

Do these members of the team not own individual tasks that they estimate. 

Nope. All work on a Sprint Backlog is owned jointly by a Scrum Development Team, even when particular members might agree to action certain items.

07:25 pm February 26, 2019

There is a lot in your post. I'll try to give you my opinions on as much as I can.

Scrum does not guarantee that every member of the team will be busy for the entire Sprint.  It doesn't even guarantee that your team will be more productive.  The point is to deliver incremental value on a consistent basis. In the example you mentioned, it appears that you have a cross-functional team but it also sounds like they are not willing to do anything other than "their job".  In theory a cross functional team would be willing to help with work that is outside of their specialty.  Your team may not be full stack but I would guess that your backend developer could help test the front end while it is being developed. 

You are correct that you do not want anyone "moving on to other work" unless the entire Development Team has included it in the Sprint Backlog.  Encourage the team members to spend idle time in the Product Backlog refining stories.  Refinement does not have to occur in a meeting.  Becoming familiar with and asking the Product Owner clarifying questions is exactly what refinement is all about. 

Do these members of the team not own individual tasks that they estimate. Would you not own that task/code and estimate that item so you can track the developer skill at time estimation or is this counter-intuitive to the team approach? 

Where in the Scrum Guide do you see anything about "time estimation"?  The time is managed by the time box used for your Sprint. There is no need to "track the developer skill at time estimation".  It sounds like your Development Team has found a scale to use in their estimation that works for them.  But I highly suggest that you don't start trying to correlate hours to that estimate.  Estimates are used to help gauge the relative size of one story to another.  It can be useful to a team to gauge the estimated amount of work that they are pulling into a sprint as it relates to previous sprints.  But in no case are you guaranteed that the 8 point story you pulled into 2 sprints ago is going to be equal to the 8 point story you pull into your next sprint.  Estimates are guesses based on the information you have available at the time you make the estimate.  Empiricism shows that you will most likely learn more that could affect the work effort positively or negatively. Do not micro-manage the time a developer is "busy".  There is a lot of work that a developer can do that isn't writing code.  Most developers will fight that because they do not feel like they are doing anything if they aren't writing code.  As Scrum Master help them understand how other work can be of benefit to the team, the company and to their own career growth.

Yes it is counter intuitive to the team approach to manage individual time.  A Scrum Team agrees to deliver an increment of value in each Sprint.  The Product Owner is responsible for making sure that the problem being solved is well known. As new information is discovered in the process of building, there will be need for clarification.  The Scrum Master is responsible for helping the entire Scrum Team be more productive and to improve team cohesion. The Development Team is responsible for ensuring that they technology used is the best choice and implemented in the most effective way.  None of this says that it ensures that any of them are working all 8 hours of the day. 

In Scrum you focus on the delivery of value in a potentially releasable increment in every sprint.  The Product Owner will decide if there is enough value to actually release based on a wide variety of reasons (enough functionality, market able to accept a release, etc). It is best not to focus on developers being busy writing code at all times. 

As to documents you must read I have nothing specific to give you.  I suggest you read a lot on self-managing teams. Read everything you can find on scrum.org and scrumalliance.org as they are both lead by the two founders of Scrum and the information available on those sights are vetted to be correct.  Read information on how Kanban measures team capacity and throughput.  Become familiar with the concepts of Lean as they can help with understanding how idle time can be utilized productively.  Read the Scrum Guide frequently.  I read it at least one a week and it seems that I uncover something new every time because my experience grows. Be wary of things you read on other blogs and websites as they are often opinions or interpretations from the individuals and can be misunderstood. 

Good luck with your journey.  It sounds like you have a good start and the desire to learn more which is vital in this line of work. 

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.