Skip to main content

Sprint lenght in Nexus with 3 teams

Last post 08:55 am March 5, 2019 by Luis Fernández de Bobadilla García
5 replies
09:44 am February 26, 2019

Hi! 

Imagine we have a Nexus with 3 teams with 4 weeks sprint lenght (each 4 weeks an integrated increment is delivered).

Team A: 2 weeks sprint lenght.

Team B: 2 weeks sprint lenght.

Team C: 4 weeks sprint lenght.

What happens with the sprint review and retrospective events of the team A and B? If in Nexus, the sprint review is replaced and the retrospective has some changes....

If in Nexus there is no Sprint review, because is replaced by the Nexus sprint review, what should team A and B should do? Do you think would be fine taking place one sprint review (as scrum guide says) for team A and another for team B. (and maybe selected members from the others team could go like kind of stakeholders)

Regards,

Luis

12:40 pm February 26, 2019

Do you think would be fine taking place one sprint review (as scrum guide says) for team A and another for team B

Wouldn't it be essential for teams A and B to observe their own Scrum Events, given that they have their own 2-week Sprint cycles, and their own opportunities to inspect and adapt?

If they didn't observe those events, what would the point be in having 2-week Sprints at all?

03:12 pm February 27, 2019

Wouldn't it be essential for teams A and B to observe their own Scrum Events, given that they have their own 2-week Sprint cycles, and their own opportunities to inspect and adapt?

If they didn't observe those events, what would the point be in having 2-week Sprints at all?

Thank you for yor answer, Ian.

Having sprint cycles of individual teams and then have the Nexus cycle ... is it a good practice? (for example the sprint review event is fully replaced)

Because, for various reasons (maturity, dependencies, etc) team A and B, decided (3 teams and NIT agreement) that they have sprints of 2 weeks and the tema C is ok with 4 weeks.

Regards,

Luis

03:43 pm February 27, 2019

Hardly am I an expert in scaled Scrum (and I've actually just started studying fro the SPS certification), but I must confess the above (different sprint lenghts, with one general alignment at some point) not only confuses me, but also, imo, makes little sense from a practical point of view - why knowingly create complexities (ie, operate on different calendars) rather than having a simple rule: sprints are the same for everyone.

01:47 pm February 28, 2019

I would not advise 2 dev teams doing 2 week sprints and a 3rd team doing 4 week sprints.

Have them all do 4 week sprints with a combined review and retrospective taking up the slack of the month so you're basically on a monthly cadence.

If Team C (above) is your Nexus Integration team, it's daily should be prior to team A and B's daily so that A and B can carry forward integration related information to their teams.  

The point is, nexus integration is to ensure integration takes place such that if 2+ teams are developing, they minimize cross-team dependencies and act coherently if they need integration work to occur.

That's my $0.02

08:55 am March 5, 2019

makes little sense from a practical point of view - why knowingly create complexities (ie, operate on different calendars) rather than having a simple rule: sprints are the same for everyone.

I would not advise 2 dev teams doing 2 week sprints and a 3rd team doing 4 week sprints.

Thank yo, Eugene and Marc. Yes, not too much sense.. but not always has place common sense.. I just wanted to know your feedback about this.

Regards

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.