Skip to main content

Product Backlog Ordering

Last post 08:54 pm March 11, 2019 by Filip Beslic
5 replies
10:46 am February 27, 2019

I'd like to address a specific point to you. I am aware of the criteria according to which a product backlog can be ordered. It's about whether I should also consider the dependencies on other products. If yes, then I would also have to make the ordering of my backlog dependent on the development of other products (e.g. a product from a portfolio). 

How do you think about that? Thank you for any feedback. 

Many greetings

10:21 pm February 27, 2019

Shouldn't the evaluation of any dependencies also involve the teams which are expected to do the work?

10:59 am February 28, 2019

Yes, absolutely! Thanks for the good point, Ian! However, I am not interested in who should be involved. 

I am concerned about one particular point. Should I also consider the dependencies to other products during product backlog ordering? I know that there are different ordering criteria such as value (overall value), dependencies between product backlog items, risk or costs.

But also the dependencies to other products? I think, this can be tricky and it may be to complicate to handle.

04:03 pm February 28, 2019

I'd like to address a specific point to you. I am aware of the criteria according to which a product backlog can be ordered. It's about whether I should also consider the dependencies on other products.

I don't mean to offend but in my opinion the fact that you had to ask if dependencies are a criteria for ordering the backlog indicates that you are not aware of the criteria for ordering a product backlog.  To me any outside dependency is a criteria for ordering.  However I also believe that the Scrum Team should do everything in their power to rectify outside dependencies because I view them as a impediment.  

Consider it this way.  Is it possible for your Scrum Team to deliver value to the stakeholders if there is an outside dependency that must be delivered before the work that your team has done can be used?  If not, then your team is not delivering value. 

I am assuming by your question that you are the PO.  Based on that assumption, as a Scrum Master I would coach you to be working hand-in-hand with the PO of the product on which you are dependent to order the items in both backlogs so that each team can deliver the appropriate value to the stakeholders/organization at the optimum time.  I would be working with the entire Scrum Team to find ways of dealing with the impediment.  For example, if both of the products are developed in house, would it be possible for your team to make the necessary changes in the other product's code base using the other team as consultants and code reviewers?  That would help your team to deliver their value and not have any outside dependencies.  And in fact it is something that my current organization does on a regular basis. 

04:24 pm February 28, 2019

Many thanks Daniel for your input! Your point of view sounds good to me. 

Thanks for your help!

08:54 pm March 11, 2019

I guess it's up to the product owner to prioritize in whatever way he/she sees fit.

Perhaps food-for-thought; an item high on the backlog usually means something really valuable to your company, so does it become less valuable if you can't start working on it because of an dependency? If you alter it's position, is your backlog still a correct representation of the things you 'should' (but perhaps can't) be working on?

That being sad, perhaps to consider when your team relies heavily on another team to finish things, then perhaps your 'cross-functional' team is missing certain skills so that they wouldn't be so much dependent on another team?

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.