Skip to main content

Nexus Events chronology and timing

Last post 06:12 pm March 8, 2019 by Dusan Karac
3 replies
01:15 pm March 7, 2019

Hello all,

I am currently learning Nexus and my goal is to understand it not only theoretically, but also in real-world use. I have read Scrum Guide multiple times and so I did The Nexus Guide. I have a couple of questions about how to orchestrate Nexus Events especially around the beginning and end of a Sprint. Lets imagine a scenario of 2weeks long Sprints and imagine you are a Scrum Master who is part of the Nexus Integration Team. How do you cope with the following?

So, the Scrum Guide says "Sprints contain and consist of the Sprint Planning, Daily Scrums, the development work, the Sprint Review, and the Sprint Retrospective." and "A new Sprint starts immediately after the conclusion of the previous Sprint."

How would one organize Nexus Events in an order that there would be no "empty" time gaps?

So lets imagine our Sprint ends on Tuesday, the Nexus Sprint Review is scheduled for 2PM and it takes, say, 2hrs. We finish at 4PM. Then we break away for Nexus Retrospective and the Nexus Guide says "Appropriate representatives from each Scrum Team meet to identify shared challenges. Then, each Scrum Team holds individual Sprint Retrospectives. Appropriate representatives from each team meet again to discuss any actions needed based on shared challenges to provide bottom-up intelligence."

Q1: Do people who are not part of "Appropriate representatives from each Scrum Team" wait until first round of Nexus Retrospective ends to begin their own Sprint Retrospective?

Q2: Is it, in this particular case (together with what Scrum Guide says about finishing a Sprint), mandatory for the second round of Nexus Retrospective to finish on Tuesday? I am concerned about the day being near the end by this time or beyond the end of the day which potentially leads to low interest?

Q3: Now, the next day - Wednesday - in the morning, there is Nexus Sprint Planning where "Appropriate representatives from each Scrum Team meet to discuss and review the refined Product Backlog. They select Product Backlog items for each team. Each Scrum Team then plans its own Sprint, interacting with other teams as appropriate." Same story here, do people who are not part of "Appropriate representatives from each Scrum Team" wait until Nexus Sprint Planning ends to commence their own Sprint Planning? My concern is, that in case Nexus Sprint Planning for whatever reason becomes long, what do the people do during this time? Isnt that time wasted? Arent we keeping the people waiting and thus, wasting their time? 

Q4: OR, Should the whole block be moved earlier and have Nexus Sprint Review+Nexus Retrospective part 1+Team Retrospectives+Nexus Retrospective part 1+Nexus Planning be done and finished on Tuesday, so the next day Wednesday starts with Teams Sprint planning in the morning?

What is your understanding and practice of these Events schedule and flow?

Thanks for every single feedback upfront!

Dusan

07:54 pm March 7, 2019

I'm not sure that a general prescription on what to do could ever really hold.

Shouldn't it be up to the teams themselves to decide what to do, in their situation and context, so that events are conducted efficiently and wasted time is minimized? Might they choose to maximize ongoing communication and collaboration with their representatives, for example?

07:43 am March 8, 2019

Hi Dusan, 

I hear you loud and clear. We had those discussions as well.

At the end of the day, as Ian stated, let the teams discuss and decide. 

My suggestion is to bring the teams together, explain them the various meeting and what the recommend order is (and why). Once they understand, facilitate a brainstorming meeting on how they want to do that.

In order for this to be effective, I do that discussion is representatives, not the entire teams. Once you decide on a skeleton, try it for couple of sprints and then meet again to adjust. 

There are so many variables that can affect the decisions, like how distrusted the teams are, whether teams prefer morning meetings or afternoon meetings, whether the Sprint end is relatively or stressed, and so forth. 

Although I'm not using Nexus exactly (but other scaled up framework that we have developed at Avay) - most scaled up frameworks that have Scrum as the foundation act in similar way. So I'll give you what my teams like to do:

Sprints are Wed to Tue. The teams decided they want 'heavy' meetings (e.g. planning) at morning time when peopke are fresh minded, and lightweight meetings (e.g. retro and review) at the afternoon.

Backlog is being split between the teams before Mon (any day is good, representative from the team appear, PO is driving this meeting). Team planning is Mon morning. Sprint review is Tue afternoon. Usually planning should appear after review, as you can't predict what is accepted/rejected which can influence your planning, but the trams are working with the PO to accept items throughout the Sprint, so you have pretty good knowledge on what was accomplished. If part of the review things come up (and they do), then the PO work with the team on final adjustments (in case it affects the coming sprint). Now, retro they wanted to do on Wed afternoon. Again, retro should ideally be before planning, so you can pick up at least one item into the coming sprint. The teams realized that most of the items they pick up are not affecting their velocity. For example, let's do pair programming on task from domain X, let's pick up code review request more frequently so code will be integrated into main branch more frequently, let's change the planning format to make it more light wait, let's bring in UX designer into the next refinement meeting, let's reduce our WIP, let's move our brainstorming sessions into morning time, let's be more strict with our daily timebox, let's assign a person each sprint to trigger the end sprint version, let's assign one person each sprint to review the defects coming in from external teams, let's make sure our automation framework code is being reviewed like any other code in the product, and so forth.

Bottom line, let the people speak up, facilitate the discussion, explain the importance and purpose of each meeting and get it started. Run and then adjust. Use empiricism :)

Good luck,

Erez

02:42 pm March 8, 2019

@Ian: I am not sure they

Might they choose to maximize ongoing communication and collaboration with their representatives, for example?

because their representatives would be gone attending the NIT meetings...

@Erez, I see what you say, and thanks for describing how your events usually line up etc...

Thanks both for your input, appreciate it. Ultimately, I guess it is then a matter of trust they would do something meaningful in that time...

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.