Skip to main content

How to deal with unhappy member of Team

Last post 07:44 am March 12, 2019 by Harshal Rathee
3 replies
04:47 am March 9, 2019

Hi 

Please can you give me some pointers and suggestions as I have a member of my Scrum Team that is unhappy that I joined the Team as their new Scrum Master last week. Their previous Scrum Master (and good friend) left and her ghost still remains. The existing team members talk about 'how things used to be', 'they used to have more fun before' and 'they did things differently before my time'. This brings negativity and frustration to the Team as a whole and first prize is to find ways to be more positive and improve the team dynamics and performance. 

09:55 pm March 11, 2019

I recently replaced a Scrum Master for a team after she left the company.  I went into the change with a conversation with the entire Scrum Team.  I reminded them that I am not the same person and that I operate differently.  I let them know that I would do my best to do things as close to "how things used to be" but that my entire style is different.  I also let them know that I was Scrum Master for 2 other teams and that some of the things that their previous Scrum Master did for them would have to become their responsibilities.  I used that as a way to help move them towards self-managing because they relied on her to do a lot of the "administrative" work like updating their boards. 

I did not come in making drastic changes.  I have introduced change slowly and each time I do, I make sure to be transparent with them on why I am asking to do things this way instead of how their previous SM did. I have found some success with them even though there were some push back on some things.  Overall, we have made progress with both the team and myself playing give-and-take.  It won't be quick because we changed the team dynamics and in some ways forced the team back into the "storming" phase of team development. 

You will have to do the same thing.  It won't happen quickly and will take some work on the part of all involved. Be flexible with and transparent in everything that you do or want to change. 

11:13 pm March 11, 2019

The existing team members talk about 'how things used to be', 'they used to have more fun before' and 'they did things differently before my time'.

Why did the team allow those things which they liked, and valued, to change? Aren't they empowered and in control of their own way of working? If not, why not? Why was there a dependency on a person now gone? It sounds as though you have an opportunity to improve the team's sense of ownership, and in so doing to make your own mark.

07:44 am March 12, 2019

Hi Mila,

I have a question,  What is stopping team to be in same state as before with the previous Scrum Master? 

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.