Skip to main content

Are extensive programming skils needed to succeed as Product Owner

Last post 01:25 pm March 18, 2019 by Daniel Wilhite
4 replies
03:28 pm March 13, 2019

Is it a must to have mid-senior level programming skilss to suceed as product owner.

I have some experience with python, html, css, php, but all of them are junior level projects and was wondering if i need to master programming as well.

Thank you once again.

04:56 pm March 13, 2019

You seem to suspect that you might need these skills, now or in the future, to fulfill the role of Product Owner. Can you explain why? How would *you* use them to improve value, bearing in mind that development work ought to be performed by Development Team members?

03:35 pm March 14, 2019

@Ian raises great points because quite honestly, I prefer it when my Product Owners have no development experience.  I have found it helps them to focus on their defining the "problems" that need to be solved and letting the Development Team focus on the technology.  That way both of the roles can easier respect the fact that both of them will do what is best for the team and the company. 

Having said that I have worked with Product Owners that have had development backgrounds and it had mixed results.  It has helped them understand impediments or concerns raised by the Development Teams.  But there is fine line between understanding and being involved when you are used to being part of the technical solutions. A few of my previous-developer-Product Owners had a real hard time separating themselves from trying to direct the technical solutions, especially when they had been doing development for a long time. 

In my opinion, your "junior" level experience should be enough for you and I'd recommend not trying to do more.  UNLESS you are expected to be a Technical Product Manager where you are responsible for a lot of the infrastructural type products (infrastructure, database systems, etc).  Then having technical knowledge can help you in determining the value of doing things like version upgrades vs point release upgrades. 

All goes back to @Ian's questions. 

(One of these days I hope to learn how to ask short concise questions that are so insightful like he does.) 

07:28 am March 15, 2019

@Ian & Daniel, thank you guys a lot , i am sorry to ask what might be redundant questions, however i am on a phase where i need to make decisions regarding what is best for my career, i am working for the Ministry of Education. Most part of my job has to do with projects and procurement following i am also coordinator of major Education Management Information System at the moment. I was recently contacted regarding PO position ( training covered)  in private sector and the interview went well, and now i am thinking no matter the outcome of the offer should i pursue the certifications and would my previous experience in the Ministry of Education be taken into consideration. I really appreciate your input.

01:25 pm March 18, 2019

...should i pursue the certifications and would my previous experience in the Ministry of Education be taken into consideration.

@Elmas, I will honestly say that I can't answer your last questions. You are the only one that decide if you should pursue the certification. However, if you do want to pursue a live in Agile/Scrum, I'll suggest you make that decision based on what you know now.  Would the certification provide value to you and your career goals?

As for the experience being taking into consideration, the answer lies only with the people that are looking at your background to determine whether you are a fit for the position. 

Good luck with your decision. 

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.