Skip to main content

Convincing the organization to use agile estimation

Last post 02:11 am April 6, 2019 by Marvin Ynte
5 replies
10:46 pm April 3, 2019

Hi everyone. I am currently working as a Project Manager/Scrum Master in a a large corporation who wishes to transition to Scrum. However, I have noticed that we are still doing things in a "waterfally" manner..

Upper management requires us to provide an estimate based on "man hours" per "role" (e.g. front end dev, back end dev, QA, BA, etc)  then convert it to actual cost.

This is what we use to provide quotation to our internal clients. 

I initially proposed that we use per sprint estimation wherein we breakdown the requirements of their MVP into multiple user stories, have the team estimate them (I know..it's tedious) and from there, we can figure out how many sprints do we need to arrive on that MVP.

1. How can I convince the organization that this type of estimation is a waterfall type.

2. Is it even possible to estimate the team as a whole and not per role. I think the rationale behind this is that each role has different cost (i.e salary bracket)

3.  Should I ask the team to provide their User Story point estimates per role instead? Currently we are estimating as a team then I have a separate session with them to provide estimation for the whole project in man hours. So technically we are really spending a lot of time in doing estimation...

12:19 am April 4, 2019

Upper management requires us to provide an estimate based on "man hours" per "role" (e.g. front end dev, back end dev, QA, BA, etc)  then convert it to actual cost.

Why do upper management believe they can impose such a requirement, if they wish to transition to Scrum?

The Scrum Guide says: "The Development Team is responsible for all estimates." The method chosen is up to team members.

12:20 am April 4, 2019

I'd argue that your proposed method is just as waterfall as the one proposed by your organization. By frequently demonstrating (or even better, deploying) working software to users or prospective users, you can learn and adapt. The idea of having a set of work that you think is an MVP and working toward that might as well be a waterfall approach toward that MVP. As you demonstrate software, you can continually refine what you think should be in the MVP.

It's a harder sell, but if you want to take advantage of agile approaches, you should determine how to fully staff a team. Perhaps different levels of staffing of a team or a combination of teams. Then, explain that every iteration will yield a demonstration. If things are going well, the customers can reorder and refine the backlog of work. When further work is no longer adding as much value as it costs to run an iteration, the work can stop. Likewise, if the project is not being successful, it can be stopped or paused.

If you're going to take advantage of iterative and incremental software development, it's going to require a new way of thinking of analyzing costs and benefits. Traditional methods won't work as well.

01:49 pm April 4, 2019

As a Scrum Master, sometimes it is not incumbent upon you to effect change in the organization (i.e. - poor estimation practices), but instead to make visible the folly of such poor practices.

Your management wants estimation based on "role".   Do they view everyone in a specific role as equal in skill, knowledge, and experience?   What is their past success rate in estimating this way?

Do they grasp the concept that some roles may deliver (i.e. - front end dev, back end dev, QA, BA, etc.), but that nothing is delivered as working software to the end customer unless ALL contribute and complete their work?   

An analogy I like to use is that of an automobile manufacturing plant.   You can try to estimate each station (how long it takes to install windows, build a steering wheel, install an engine, etc.), but the only thing that really matters is getting a fully-functioning car out of the plant.   Your upper management seems to embrace the idea of potentially having a lot of unfinished work product lying around (work in progress = WIP).   Speak to them about the inefficiencies of WIP.

Also, your "team" should only be spending time estimating in one way, either in time increments (hours/days), or in relative units like Story Points.   To try and provide both is simply waste, as your team will simply translate story points to time values, and vice-versa.

Good luck!

02:51 pm April 4, 2019

In my experience, this is one of the worst ways to actually calculate costs when doing a team based effort (even if using waterfall).  The varying skills, estimating based on little information, and title level based salary scale will vary this tremendously.  The usual recourse is to use some type of "average per role" and inflated estimates to arrive at the cost.  So ....

Why can't your company arrive at an average cost for a team per Sprint. A very simplified example would be (work hours in a sprint) x (average rate per person) x (number of people in Scrum Team).  Notice that estimating the work plays no part in the cost as that will be managed per Sprint based on the customer's input at reviews.  Work with the customers to help them understand that they will be billed time and material based on the actual work done. Make it clear that the customers will be involved in each Sprint Review to guide the next steps in the product/project directions.  This will help them be more comfortable with the approach as they are ultimately in charge of how much work is done. The customer can say "this is enough" at any point. They can ensure that the money they spend will actually deliver the product they need at the time of delivery instead of the product they thought they needed at the time of engagement.  They can also say "this isn't going to work out" and cut ties with no additional financial outlay. If your customers are familiar at all with agile practices, they will understand this concept. If they aren't familiar with it, they will most likely be familiar with time and material cost accounting as that has been around for centuries.

As to the estimation, I feel that everyone else that has responded has covered that topic very well. 

02:11 am April 6, 2019

@Ian: The reason they require us Project Managers/Scrum Masters to use that model is to get the amount that they'll use to charge other business units ( clients).

@Timothy: This is true. It's truly cumbersome if we will do both types of estimations for every project. 

Do they grasp the concept that some roles may deliver (i.e. - front end dev, back end dev, QA, BA, etc.), but that nothing is delivered as working software to the end customer unless ALL contribute and complete their work?   

I think my managers do, but the organization probably does not. I have always been reiterating that this kind of estimation promotes silo working.

@Daniel: This! We have actually been proposing that we shall be formally creating "Squads" who will be focused on certain project types. The squad members won't be "pulled out" (hopefully) during any sprint. We can also set up a Squad Velocity in which we can use as a benchmark in creating estimates.

Thanks for all these replies guys!

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.