Skip to main content

which step to start off with as an in-experienced scrum master new to scrum frame work

Last post 01:57 pm April 14, 2019 by Niels Dimmers
4 replies
07:01 pm April 9, 2019

Hi I needed some tips on how to start off my roles as a Scrum Master entirely new to scrum frame work. I heard about Scrum from a friend and it caught my interest, I started off by reading "Scrum the art of doing twice the work in half the time by Jeff Sutherland" after which  I read Scrum Guide 15 more books on Scrum including ones written by Ken Schwaber, Mike Cohn and some other Agile thinkers.I have understood Scrum frame work and its applications and some Generally Accepted Scrum Practices and have been able to pass PSM1. 

I need some guidance on how to start my role as a Scrum Master in my new organization. I have few days to start off. Thank you guys

07:19 am April 10, 2019

Hi Anthony two points:

a) start practicing

b) keep reading

03:06 pm April 10, 2019

As a new Scrum Master do not go into the team as an "expert".  You are going to learn from them as much as they will learn from you.  If you aren't learning, then (yes, I'm going to say it) you are doing it wrong.  Being a part of a Scrum Team is continuous learning.  Remember the empirical model of transparency of information, inspect new information, adapt to it. Being a Scrum practitioner is somewhat like being a Doctor.  Have you ever noticed that Doctors "practice medicine"?  That is because it is constantly changing and you never learn everything there is to know about it.  Same principle applies to Scrum.

Be honest with your team about your actual experience vs learned experience.  Help them to understand and appreciate the Scrum Framework for what is intended.  Make sure they know it is not the Scrum PROCESS.  Focus on getting one thing right at a time and make changes based on Sprint boundaries.  The timeboxing of Scrum events is on purpose. It helps you focus on something for a specific period of time, then gives opportunity to inspect if it is working. Learn from how the team self-manages and forms together because that help you with the next team. The more teams you work with the better you can get. 

One more suggestion. If there are other Scrum Masters with teams, ask if you can shadow them.  Have the Scrum Master ask if they are ok with you sitting in on their Review, Retrospective, Planning and refinement.  I have found that reading gives you a lot of knowledge and ideas but observation will help you understand the knowledge and ideas you have. 

@Ionut -Adrian gives good advice. 

Good luck on your journey.  Come back and share with us what you learn and experience. I'm sure that all of us in the forum will learn something from you. 

07:07 pm April 10, 2019

Hi Anthony,

Congratulations on the start you've made!

I really like what Daniel said, and I'm particularly glad that he mentioned empiricism. Don't lose sight of that. Everything important in Scrum can be related to empiricism in some way. If you find a part of Scrum that doesn't seem to help with empiricism, you probably have more to learn about it.

Remember that Scrum isn't supposed to solve you're problems. It's supposed to make them visible.

Use Scrum in its entirety, even if you don't understand why. This will probably hurt at times. Then you (and others) might start discovering problems that you didn't know you had. Then you can take steps to solve those problems.

Understand agility, and how that relates to and differs from Scrum. Understand how Scrum could be used in an inagile way. People will challenge the 'rules' of Scrum. Try to understand why. A disagreement based on different ways of being agile, is different to a disagreement about whether or not it is important to be agile.

I discovered this video once I had already been through a significant part of my Scrum Master journey: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ts2Tl82fcXQ

By the time I watched it, I wished I'd found it sooner.

This is worth a read: https://www.scrum.org/resources/blog/evolution-scrum-master

Be honest with your team about your actual experience vs learned experience. 

This ^^. Experiment. Fail. Be open about your failures. Learn.

Come back here for advice when you need it. Try to answer the questions from others too if you can, and be open to people disagreeing with what you say. That's a good way to validate your understanding of Scrum and how to put it into practice.

Keep learning. Be curious. Stay humble

01:57 pm April 14, 2019

Hi Anthony,

Especially if it's a new team, it would be good to invest in trust. Make your teammates trust you and eachother, be a reliable scrum master and deliver on your promises. Invest in your team to learn to know eachother and trust eachother. From there, you can build on commitment and growth for your team.

Niels

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.