Skip to main content

Transitioning from component team to feature team

Last post 04:45 pm May 7, 2019 by Ian Mitchell
3 replies
03:34 pm May 6, 2019

Hello,

I'm a Scrum Master in a startup which works actually in component team. I'm currently looking to switch to the feature team model. 

The company I work for got 2 products ( so 2 native mobile applications for Android and iOS). with this organization :

- 2 Product Owner and 1 PO still at school

- 1 Scrum Master (me)

- 3 Android developers

- 3 iOS developers ( one is living us soon )

- 3 Back-end developers with sometimes freelance.

We are currently working in component team with differents sprints for Android, iOS, Backend. In each sprint we have tasks for both of our products. For example, the Android sprint contains tasks for product 1 and 2.

I'm thinking about how we can dispatch the differents developers in feature team but it's seems really hard to me.

I thought about 2 things : 

- Create one scrum team with all developers but we would make 10 developers and I think it's maybe a little bit to much. Moreover we will probably looking to recruit more developers soon.

- Create three scrum team with 1 developer of each task but I think it's a little bit risky :

- For example one of our iOS developer is living so what can we do in this situation ?

- How can we share efficiently the knowledge if there is only one developer of each stack in the feature team. For exemple if only one developer work for 6 months on features and get sick or anything else. 

If you have any suggestion, don't hesitate.

Thanks,

Florian

08:28 am May 7, 2019

Have you consulted with your team first? Also, have you informed management of your plans - or is management the driving force behind the initiative?

How would you assess your colleagues' Scrum expertise? How about the group's maturity?

Self organizing is key, and it looks like you (as a group) have a nice opportunity to analyze and decide the best option.

12:57 pm May 7, 2019

Hey Eugene,

yes the management is aware and full support this transition. Regarding the team, all PO thinks this is the solution because of all the problems we know about component teams. For the developers some of them thinks this is not the solution because they are afraid about developing the back-end et mobile in the same sprint. So I don't know how to react if few of thems are completely against the idea.

Yes probably make a meeting with all PO and developers is a good solution to get their feedback.

The group exist for 4 years now but we hire half of our developers 1 year ago.

Thank you for your response.

04:45 pm May 7, 2019

I'm a Scrum Master in a startup which works actually in component team. I'm currently looking to switch to the feature team model. 

Why do you believe that it is the right time to make this switch? What problems are being experienced at the moment?

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.