Skip to main content

Product Backlog in The Scrum Framework Poster

Last post 05:48 pm May 22, 2019 by Laura Navarro Vega
6 replies
10:53 am May 20, 2019

ESP

Hola a todos.

Estaba revisando 'The Scrum Framework Poster' y me he dado cuenta de un tema que me ha dejado algo confusa.

Viendo cómo está representado el Product Backlog, me da la sensación de que salen los PBIs listados linealmente, en lugar de secuencialmente. Es decir, me da la sensación de que hay varios PBIs en la primera posición del backlog.

Tal y como indica la guía:

The Product Backlog is an ordered list of everything that is known to be needed in the product. It is the single source of requirements for any changes to be made to the product. The Product Owner is responsible for the Product Backlog, including its content, availability, and ordering.

Hasta ahora, yo entendía que esto quiere decir que el Product Backlog tiene que mantener siempre un orden, y que esto quiere decir que siempre habrá un PBI después de otro, y que nunca podían compartir posición en el Product Backlog (que, además, entiendo que es lo que generaba la controversia entre si el Product Backlog está ordenado o priorizado, ya que al tener varios PBIs en la misma posición es lo mismo que decir que todos tiene la misma prioridad)

¿El poster es correcto? ¿que interpretación habría que hacer de cómo ordenarlo entonces?

Muchas gracias.

ENG

Hi everyone.

I'm reviewing 'The Scrum Framework Poster' and I found something that I can't understand properly.

If we look the representation of the Product Backlog, it looks like if the PBIs were listed in a lineal way, insted of a sequency way. I mean, It's like if diferents PBIs can stand in position 1 on the Product Backlog.

As the guide says:

The Product Backlog is an ordered list of everything that is known to be needed in the product. It is the single source of requirements for any changes to be made to the product. The Product Owner is responsible for the Product Backlog, including its content, availability, and ordering

Until now, I thoght that this means that the Product Backlog is always in one order, so one PBI is always after another PBI, and they can't never share position in the Product Backlog (also, I think this is what it brought the topic about if the Product Backlog is ordered or prioriced)

¿Is the poster correct? ¿How is the correct way to order a Product Backlog then?

Thank you so much!

09:45 am May 21, 2019

Hi Laura,

To the best of my knowledge, as long as you use digital tools (ie JIRA, Trello), your backlog would appear "ordered" sequentially, so PBIs would be listed one below another, with the most relevant (order-wise) right at the top. I'm not aware of any digital tool that allows a parallel ordering.

On a whiteboard with post-it notes, a PO could order a few PBIs on a parallel level as a sign to the team (or stakeholders) that they are considering two or more PBIs as the most important ones, but they're awaiting results or a phone call before making a decision (and order accordingly).

All said, I'm of opinion an "ordered backlog" is best attained through sequential rather than parallel listing.

05:04 pm May 21, 2019

My opinion is that a properly ordered backlog would be linear for the items at the upper levels.  If you order multiple items at the same level it becomes difficult for anyone to make decisions on how to address them. I have never encountered a situation where there was no way to order one item over another if they are at the top levels of the backlog.  That rule does not apply for items lower in the backlog.  As @Eugene mentioned, there could be items that are still in discovery stages where the ordering criteria has not emerged. 

That rule also might not apply if there were multiple teams working from the same Product Backlog.  In that case the multiple teams could focus on different items that are ordered at the same level at different levels of the backlog.  It wouldn't be my first choice but I could work with teams in that situation. 

I have seen electronic tools that allow parallel ordering.  Asana is an example. The lightweight tools tend to be less stringent in their implementations. 

Good question. I honestly never looked at the diagram that close to notice it.  

06:59 pm May 21, 2019

Until now, I thoght that this means that the Product Backlog is always in one order, so one PBI is always after another PBI, and they can't never share position in the Product Backlog

Scrum is minimally prescriptive, and the idea of “one order” might perhaps introduce a constraint inappropriate to certain contexts.

As an extreme example, you might have a Product Backlog ordered in terms of “ready” and “not ready”, or perhaps even “stuff to think about now” and “stuff to sort out later”. Anything more structured might be too hard to manage in a complex and uncertain environment.

08:12 pm May 21, 2019

Dear Laura, 

Scrum does not prescribe how the Product Backlog is made „visible, transparent and clear to all, and shows what the Scrum Team will work on next“ (Scrum Guide). 

The Product Owner can choose any visualization that works best for the Scrum Team and its stakeholders. While some Product Owners use a one-dimensional, top-to-bottom visualization, others might find a more-dimensional, left-to-right, top-to-bottom format (e.g. a user story map) more useful to reflect the Product Backlog.

The visualization of the Scrum Framework poster reflects the flexibility of choosing a visualization that works best in a given context.

I hope this helps.

08:16 pm May 21, 2019

My interpretation of that graphic is that it's highlighting how items closer to the top of the Product Backlog are more likely to be well refined, and therefore broken into smaller deliverable items (with a lot of the waste, uncertainty and complexity removed); whereas it would often be wasteful to apply such extensive refinement to the bottom of the backlog.

I mean, It's like if diferents PBIs can stand in position 1 on the Product Backlog.

I would say even if two items were next to each other, an order would likely be assumed (either implicitly or explicitly). The frames on this comic strip are just one example of there still being a logical order, even though the boxes are of varying shape and size, and spread both horizontally and vertically across the page.

08:21 pm May 21, 2019

Thank you everyone for all the answers!! 

It’s help me a lot to open my mind and think about the Product Backlog from other perspectives.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.