Skip to main content

Can anyone say that How different is Scrum practice from Agile Practice?

Last post 06:02 pm June 9, 2023 by Eden Wheeler
9 replies
08:25 am June 3, 2019

Most of the people say Scrum and Agile interchangeably but what is the major difference between Scrum Practice when compared to Agile Practice?

02:57 pm June 3, 2019

The biggest difference is that Agile is descriptive and Scrum is prescriptive, that is, Scrum is one of many ways to achieve agility. 

I prefer to think of Agile as describing what it's like to swim proficiently. Scrum is more like a pool floatie to hang onto until you actually learn how to swim and can start developing your own practices for becoming agile.

My experience, is that the more you rely on a specific framework the less agile you become. The framework is meant to be a starting point of getting to agility, not an end point.

05:49 pm June 3, 2019

I like @Larry's first sentence. It is something I have heard many times from many agile practitioners. 

My opinion is that agile is a philosophy and Scrum is a framework to aid in understanding and practice of the philosophy.  I have used the example of Christianity as a religion as it is familiar to me and many of the people in the United States with which I interact.  Christianity is a philosophical belief system. But there are many "frameworks" within such as Catholic, Methodist, Baptist and even non-denominational. None of them are better than the others for honoring the Christianity philosophy.  To compare, Catholic, Methodist, Baptist represent the various frameworks, non-denominational represent agile organizations.  All of them support the agile philosophy.

I want to point out that I never used the word Agile, it is always agile. You can be agile but you never do Agile. I only used Christianity because it is a noun in the English language while agile is an adjective. 

02:22 pm June 4, 2019

The Agile that is capitalized, is not the true agile.

Akin to the Tao that can be spoken is not the Tao.

I was a comparative religion major for a while in college which has come in handy when talking about agile and all it's various iterations and frameworks. New converts believe their particular variety is the only one, and people who have been practicing for a while are a bit more circumspect and adaptable.

06:32 am August 31, 2020

Yes, I agreed as well, Scrum is a process methodology of Agile. you can follow KANBAN or lean approach as well. 

But in overall Agile Methodology provides 12 principles which you can follow and have the knowledge of it in deep.

11:18 am May 1, 2023

The primary distinction between Scrum and Agile is that Scrum establishes a set of rules and roles that teams must adhere to in order to apply Agile practices. Daily stand-up meetings, sprint planning sessions, sprint reviews, and retrospectives are examples of these. Specific responsibilities in the Scrum framework include Scrum Master, Product Owner, and Development Team.

Agile, on the other hand, is more of a mentality or attitude that pushes teams to be adaptable and responsive to changing needs. Agile places a premium on customer collaboration, working software, and the capacity to adapt to change. It does not impose a set of rules or roles but rather encourages teams to develop their own methods of working that best suit their needs.

05:19 pm May 1, 2023

Scrum is THE PART of Agile. Discussing difference is not logical.  It's like discussing difference between the hand and the whole body.

Yes the hand is certainly NOT the body, but it is not some independent thing or matter either

07:05 pm May 1, 2023

Agile (with a capital A) is to Scrum as Dog is to German Shephard. Several frameworks fall under Agile, including Scrum.

The creators of Scrum, XP, FDD, and a few other lightweight methods (opposed to predictive methodologies), which came about in the 1990s, met and gave birth to the Agile Manifesto in 2001, documented at agilemanifesto.org. Yes, Scrum came before Agile.

The Agile Manifesto is a set of 4 values backed by 12 principles that describe what the lightweight, adaptive frameworks have in common. Teams can use these values and principles to guide how work gets done. Some call it a mindset, others a philosophy of how to get work done.

Scrum is a framework that provides five events, three accountabilities, three artifacts, and three commitments that can be used to turn ideas into product increments of value.

02:15 pm May 2, 2023

Interesting perspectives so far. Much has been explained already, but here's one more article to bookmark :

How the 12 principles in the Agile Manifesto work in real life

12:23 pm June 9, 2023

Agile is a broader concept focused on flexibility and delivering value to customers. Scrum is a specific framework within Agile that provides guidelines for managing projects iteratively and collaboratively. Agile is the mindset, while Scrum is the implementation approach.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.