Skip to main content

Nexus +

Last post 10:56 am June 6, 2019 by Ian Mitchell
2 replies
07:24 am June 6, 2019

Is Nexus+ (i.e multiple nexuses working together ) a thing..

Cant seem to find any information on that at all

08:57 am June 6, 2019

I would question the need for such a thing.

The Scrum Guide recommends that each Scrum Team consists of a Product Owner, a Development Team of between 3 and 9, and a Scrum Master for a total size of 5 to 11 individuals. Nexus is designed to facilitate between 3 and 9 Scrum Teams supporting a single product with a single Product Backlog producing one Integrated Increment. In terms of people, this would be between 15 and 99 individuals across all the roles, including between 9 and 81 developers.

At some point, I'd really consider looking at the size and composition of the Scrum Teams and how they are organizing around the Product Backlog before trying to scale to two or more Nexuses. I'd also start looking at the product and ensuring that what I have is truly one single product and not a product family or product suite.

10:56 am June 6, 2019

Nexus+ is a thing and is covered in the SPS course. However it is perhaps defined more by what it is not, rather than by what it is. Since the challenges tend to be unique at an aspirational Nexus+ scale, a distinct framework has not yet emerged, at least as far as I know.

Remember that complexity increases exponentially and the preferred option would be not to scale further at all. Nexus therefore remains the basic organizing principle of Nexus+. Rather than another framework, in Nexus+ there are additional considerations for organizations to bear in mind. Here are my own notes:

1. whether it might actually, at this scale, become necessary to have an integration team...and if so, how its duties can be minimized.
  2. whether dependencies between one Nexus and another can realistically be managed at all, or must be forbidden.
  3. whether to establish an architectural platform (or an API) to ease product integration.
  4. whether the Nexus+ can effectively amount to such a platform or API.
  5. what are the implications of maintaining a platform/API on feature teams? Might a component team be needed? How powerful would it then be (see 1)?
  6. how to accommodate a likely operational need for multiple Product Owners.
  7. how to deal with integration concerns where Sprint cadences are now more likely to differ.
  8. how to deal with integration points involving non-Scrum teams.
  9. how to assure bottom-up intelligence.
  10. In general, how to scale horizontally across the enterprise rather than vertically.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.