Skip to main content

To become scrum master from developer

Last post 02:54 pm June 22, 2019 by Jayaty Bose
5 replies
01:28 pm June 17, 2019

Hi 

I have 7yrs experience in ETL development tools but now I want to become a Scrum Master but i dont have experience working in agile projects. So what things i should  keep in mind before becoming a scrum master and as there is no experience how to get into the job market and get placed ? In most cases they ask for experienced Scrum Masters so how will i face that situation? 

07:02 am June 18, 2019

now I want to become a Scrum Master

What is your reason for this? What is your big why?

dont have experience working in agile projects

becoming a scrum master

no experience how to get into the job market

This is a bit of a chicken and an egg problem here. In my opinion, becoming a Scram master can only be done through experience, and becoming a good one through vast ans extensive experience. You need to land a job to get the experience and need the experience to land the job. I understand the tight spot you're in.

For starters, start studying the Scrum Guide, books, readings, blogs etc and pass the PSM-I, with no experience, preferably following  a class / course. I think this is he bare minimum you need to have in your pocket. When done, maybe it is easier to land a job as agile developer, and gain experience from that role. Otherwise try to find companies which are quite far in Scrum / agile and see if you can step into a bootcamp or fasttrack there. Third, still apply to those "experienced" vacancies and sell yourself and convince them. They ask for experience, but if no suitable candidate applies, you are still the best.

06:25 pm June 20, 2019

I agree with Xander Ladage above. With no work experience working on Agile projects, the most effective way to become a SrumMaster in the future would be to learn as much as you can. study the Scrum Guide, strive to become certified, and ask other experienced ScrumMasters for their input (as you did in this forum!). There are also bootcamps and training sessions offered by many experienced Agile experts (for example.: https://www.digitalmaelstrom.net/development/agile-team-development/). I hope this helps.

08:05 pm June 20, 2019

Incidentally, just yesterday I posted my own story here on the forum, which is how I got from Developer to Scrum Master. Bottom line is pretty much by simply starting to act like one, I guess :) If you're interested, here's the post. Maybe it inspires you, or maybe you have something to add or teach me \o/

07:32 am June 21, 2019

Be aware that knowing the theory can be learned from books, but being a scrum master requires an attitude and soft skills which you can only learn properly by doing. There are many theories about team development and growth, but you need to learn to look at your team and see what is applicable.

I am not trying to scare you off, no, it's the opposite, at some point, the books can only tell you so much and you need to start doing it. Take the step to pick up the role and learn as you go along. Be honest and open to yourself and your surrounding that you're learning. 

Fake it till you make it ;-).

06:30 am June 22, 2019

Thanks a lot every one for the comments and showing some positive aspects .

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.