Skip to main content

Planned vs UnPlanned Carry Over in an Agile Sprint

Last post 08:12 am June 19, 2019 by John McGinty
4 replies
07:14 pm June 17, 2019

My question is related to Carryover as it is measured in a Sprint.  

What is usually measured in a Sprint, Planned Carryover or Unplanned Carryover?  Please define what your understanding is of both types of carryover means to you.

10:22 pm June 17, 2019

What do you mean by carryover?

If you are referring to user stories that are not completed within a Sprint, then these should be placed on the Product Backlog for the Product Owner to reprioritise.

In practice, the teams I have worked with, the PO indicates they would like work to continue on them. So we just add them to the next sprint.

I've never heard of Planned Carryover or Unplanned Carryover.

02:43 am June 18, 2019

What is usually measured in a Sprint, Planned Carryover or Unplanned Carryover?

Wouldn’t a Scrum Team be more likely to assess work that has been “Done” and work that remains to be “Done”?

08:12 pm June 18, 2019

John, are you attempting to draw a distinction between incomplete items that were either part of an initial sprint forecast, or pulled into a sprint already in progress?

If so, what would the presence of items in either category tell you?

08:12 am June 19, 2019

If I had to guess on this as I've not heard of carryover

Planned carry over: work that the team knew would take longer than a sprint but brought it in instead of breaking it down (it happens)

Unplanned carrry over: work that was planned to be completed in the sprint but wasn't finished or accepted.

What is measured during and at the end of the sprint is work done (meets the acceptance criteria of the work and the team's definition of done). The important thing is to not fake Done - changing the definitions of done to fit a report. 

I broke the work done into three elements

Work accepted - AC + DoD

1. Team heat - how hot the team are running

2. Code heat - how well the work was produced

3. System heat - how stable the overall system is running

The state of carry over/unfinished work is a indicator on one or many of the factors. Have a look at what is stopping planned work being done rather than lowering the amount of work planned (the Toyota way is the key example of how to increase production through greater flexibility and quality).

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.