Skip to main content

PSM Level 2

Last post 07:43 am June 24, 2019 by Nitesh Bansal
11 replies
08:45 am June 18, 2019

Hello all,

Could you guide me how to be PSM 1 certified. For PSM1, I had an online training and then an exam.

I have not been able to find any online training for PSM level 2?

Is it possible only via physical training?

Thanks for your input.

09:35 am June 18, 2019

This might not be very helpful but the resource that I'm using is the PSM II page (https://www.scrum.org/professional-scrum-master-ii-certification)

My plan is to go through the literature recommended, all the open assessments, the blogs, videos etc before taking my first shot at the exam. I've budgetted for a resit as I'm expecting it to be tough and inspection and adaption to learning is the way forward :)

10:58 am June 18, 2019

Hi, you can purchase the PSM-II exam without any training, although it is highly recommended.

I did a two-day PSM-II classroom course and it helped by a lot! Good insights, even outside the scope of the exam itself, but more general on Agile and Scrum. So personally, I would also really recommend it.

I don't know about online training programs, but finding a classroom course on this very website sounds like a plan!

Next to that, in my personal opinion again, apart from having PSM-I, experience was the biggest factor for me when it comes to PSM-II 

08:52 am June 19, 2019

Besides experience, for PSM II I also read a couple of agile-related books... Watching all the discussions here also helps.

08:55 am June 19, 2019

Good point Filip. My personal all-time favorite: "Coaching Agile Teams" by Lyssa Adkins.

Loved the book, gave good insights on leadership and coaching, as well as preparing for the exam

05:17 pm June 19, 2019

Scrum.org does a very good job of literally giving you all the materials that you need in order to pass any of their exams. Like John mentioned above, go to the page for the exam you're interested in and actually read the suggested materials. Between that and real world experience, you've got all the info you'll need to pass the exam. 

09:10 pm June 19, 2019

I passed my PSM2 exam last month (may 2019) with about a 95% score.

As I see it, what's ultimately helpful for passing the exam (let me rephrase that: demonstrate your next-level insights) is not simply knowledge of the Scrum framework and the guide (that's PSM1), but a "deeper" understanding of, and experience with it. It mostly tests your ability to hold real-life dilemma against the Scrum values and pillars. The questions put you in situations recognizable for many experienced facilitators. Note that the exam is only 30 questions, but you get 90 minutes. That should indicate the difference against PSM1 with 80 questions in 60 minutes.

I did take a training course, as strongly suggested by the PSM2 preparation suggestions (see: https://www.scrum.org/classes?type[]=164). Mine was at Prowareness in the Netherlands and it was freaking awesome.Now, my employer paid for both the course itself and my time taking the course, and I realize that not everyone is so lucky, but if you have the chance: do it. However, while it's going to give you a lot to work with, it's neither a silver bullet to  take one, nor a showstopper to not take one.

I have two very high-level suggestions I got during the training, and as this was a training endorsed by Scrum.org themselves as part of the PSM2 preparations I don't feel like I'm giving anything away unjustly here: dive into servant-leadership and Scrum Master stances. Understanding those two subject areas will not just make you a better Scrum Master but can actually provide life-changing insights. It did for me.

07:11 am June 21, 2019

Thanks for your suggestions. Unfortunately, my company isn't keen in funding any training. They can pay for the exam. So, as suggested, I plan to go through the open material available on scrum.org and then take a shot at PSM 2.

07:40 am June 21, 2019

Do you think the mock exams covered in this site could help?

https://www.assessment-training.com/uk/professional-scrum-master-ii

07:47 am June 21, 2019

Unfortunately, my company isn't keen in funding any training

I hear that a lot. I think it is an indication of poor vision.

To not invest in the growth of your most valuable assets is wrong on so many levels.

If you pay peanuts you get monkeys.

What happens when we invest in people and they leave the company (asks the CFO)? What happens if we don't, and they stay (asks the CEO)?

The bigger question is, what do you want to achieve for yourself? You want proof of having answered enough questions correct on your exam? Or proof of knowledge, expertise and skill? Why do you want or need PSM-II and what is your personal motivation? And is there a way of (partially) paying for a course yourself, or make some kind of arrangements?

Good luck anyway!

08:01 am June 21, 2019

Hi Nitesh,

I recently passed the exam (97%), and can only agree with above reading/learning subjects. In particular I'd like to highlight:

As I see it, what's ultimately helpful for passing the exam (let me rephrase that: demonstrate your next-level insights) is not simply knowledge of the Scrum framework and the guide (that's PSM1), but a "deeper" understanding of, and experience with it.

Keep in mind, the goal should be to assess your knowledge and skills, not just passing the exam.

Furthermore, what helped me in particular were the Scrum Master learning path (https://www.scrum.org/pathway/scrum-master) and the Nexus Open assessment (as I don't have any practical experience with scaling scrum teams and the exam contains scaling questions). Regarding the latter: I highly recommend scoring 100% several times.

Best of luck to you and let us know how it went!

07:43 am June 24, 2019

@Xander, my personal motivation for PSM level 2 is to basically expand my understanding of Scrum, learn how different people are doing Scrum and finding success.

In my team, I have the feeling that i'm throwing in Agile ideas based on what I have studied in Level 1 which is very basic.

I would like to expland my knowledge and help the team really accelerate towards the goal of reaching True Agility. Currently, we are Agile team, because are doing all the rituals, but I think, we could do much more, but this is where, I'm stuck. I don't know how to break the barrier and move forward.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.