Skip to main content

How can I get a Scrum master job

Last post 07:52 am June 29, 2019 by Xander Ladage
3 replies
04:29 am June 26, 2019

Hi

I just recently completed my PSM training last week with a scrum.org instructor and I passed my PSM 1 with 95%. How can I get a job as a scrum master when I'm a Microsoft BUSINESS INTELLIGENC, BI DEVELOPER not really a software developer. I'm certified and I don't know the way forward, I need help.

Thanks 

Gilbert 

04:32 am June 26, 2019

I would appreciate a guide

11:17 pm June 28, 2019

Gilbert- congrats on passing the PSM 1 with a 95%! Many companies will be impressed with the fact that you have the necessary credentials to serve as a ScrumMaster. I would recommend you keep your LinkedIn profile and your resume up to date for prospective employers. Look around online and check with your connections if they know of any ScrumMaster positions open or opening soon. Many development companies like Digital Maelstrom will post their job openings online and on their social media channels - keep an eye out for these opportunities, and don't be afraid to reach out and inquire when an opportunity arises. I hope this helps!

07:52 am June 29, 2019

Allright, my personal thoughts on this… There is more to becoming a Scrum Master than passing the PSM-I exam. With any score, that is for me pretty irrelevant.

Becoming a Scrum Master is more is more than knowing the Scrum Guide, it is a combination of soft skills, coaching, being able to grasp and incorporate concepts like Transparency, Inspect, Adapt. Also being able to teach others (primarily non-agile knowledgeable team members) not about the HOW of the Scrum Guide, like artifacts and events, but moreover the WHY.

PSM-I certification is just one of the checkboxes to be checked when you want to become a Scrum Master, but many more like agile knowledge and experience from the field, being passionate about coaching and improving teams and individuals.

There is so much more to it.

Sorry for my scepticism, but these days I see a lot of people passing PSM-I and than think they are a Scrum Master because the piece of paper says so. I really don’t like the approach. For me, the certificate indicates you understand the basics needed to become a SM and implement Scrum, but for me, you are not there yet.

It opens the doors to poor scrum implementation, and with that, teams that do not get the environment they need to (constantly) improve.

I much more look at experience, not as a Scrum master perse, but in an Agile environment in general. And passion about coaching and stuff like that.

I do not say this does not apply to you, but I do see a lot of “I passed PSM-I with XX% and now want to land a job” nowadays. Without any passion, motivation, drive, just a piece of paper. Why do you even want to become a SM? What is your reason? What is your purpose? What is your plan? What is your experience? What is is your WHY?

If you would have a job interview with me, that should have been clear from your letter / resume, and would be the focus areas of my interview…

Good luck becoming an SM though! No offence intended, just stating my thoughts...

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.