Skip to main content

Having a separate Sprint for development and QA

Last post 01:46 pm June 28, 2019 by Harshal Rathee
7 replies
12:49 pm June 27, 2019

Hello,

Our QA is having this problem of nothing having anything to do while the developers are coding and the he get suddenly flooded with work 3 days to the end of the Sprint which he struggles to finish.

So we are looking at Splitting the Sprint, having one sprint to develop and one sprint to test. Is this anti-Scrum?

Can someone please advise on what other option I have?

04:39 pm June 27, 2019

In general, I'm not opposed to a Sprint resulting to a hand-off to something that isn't a release. A good example of this kind of situation would be in an environment where independent verification and/or validation is required. However, there are really very few (relatively speaking) environments that require independent verification and/or validation, and even then not all work needs to undergo this process.

For most cases, I'd say that yes, splitting development and QA is anti-Scrum because it is both anti-agile and anti-lean. You are introducing artificial barriers or silos in your value stream. These hand-offs are waste that slows down development, forces communication paths into certain structures, and slows down delivery of value to downstream customers.

Here are some questions to consider:

• Why is all of the work coming at the end of the Sprint? Why is work not being delivered incrementally?
  • How can QA-related activities be moved up-stream? Can QA begin to define and implement blackbox tests based on your Product Backlog Items earlier? Can the developers integrate test design and implementation into their work?
  • Why do you have a separate QA? Is there a reason? Is this reason valid?

04:48 pm June 27, 2019

The idea behind having a Sprint is to produce a "Done" increment. Having said that, would you consider the functionality being developed as use-able at the end of your Sprint i.e. without appropriate Quality Assurance?

What would you do if you were given the option to change something with respect to this scenario? What do you think is perhaps the cause?

05:10 pm June 27, 2019

In general, I'm not opposed to a Sprint resulting to a hand-off to something that isn't a release. A good example of this kind of situation would be in an environment where independent verification and/or validation is required. 

@Thomas Owens, I was once in a position where the management forced this thought, considered it okay and called it Scrum. If we have a Development Sprint, hand-off that work to a QA Sprint, then, how is that different from Waterfall?

05:59 pm June 27, 2019

@Thomas Owens, I was once in a position where the management forced this thought, considered it okay and called it Scrum. If we have a Development Sprint, hand-off that work to a QA Sprint, then, how is that different from Waterfall?

Because the work should still be Done. When facing regulatory compliance in areas that require some or all of the work to be independently verified or validated, it is not possible for the Scrum Team to perform the work with independence - they are too close to the work. The external group that receives the hand-off should be responsible for compliance related 'paperwork' - if they are finding issues (especially those that would prevent the release of the software) rather than checking compliance related boxes and providing feedback, the Scrum Team did not meet its objectives.

08:01 pm June 27, 2019

@Thomas makes a good point when producing things for regulated industries.  I worked for a company that was subject to US Security Exchange Commission audits.  We did a variation of agile but not Scrum.  It was mostly a home grown process that used time-boxed periods with reviews at the end.  We did split Development and QA and it was not uncommon for work to span time-boxes. But again, we weren't doing Scrum.

@SteveB also makes a good point.  Doing the split could very well be seen as an implementation of waterfall in most cases. And having something that isn't tested really doesn't seem "done" to me.  Is it potentially releasable at that point? 

Scrum says that the increment produced in a Sprint is potentially releasable. Does your organization feel that something that has not undergone full testing is potentially releasable? I really hope not and since you have a separate QA it doesn't seem like your organization does feel that way.

I am also going to point towards focus.  If Developers spend 2 weeks building something and then QA tests for 2 weeks, what are the Developers doing during the QA Sprint?  I'm going to venture that they are going to be writing new code.  If QA finds an issue, does the Development Team stop working on the new code to fix the issue or does it go into the Product Backlog to be fixed at a future point?  Either method is going to result in delays delivering value to the stakeholders.  There will be significant context switching all the time. Why not make the stories smaller so that they can be coded and tested during a Sprint?  You do not have to deliver a completed feature every Sprint but you should deliver an workable, potentially releasable increment of that feature. 

My opinion is that you split the work like you suggested if there are very good reasons.  The reason you mentioned is not a good reason at all. It is a symptom of a team misunderstanding the benefit of agile and of Scrum. If your organization is truly committed to doing Scrum, you need to work the team to help them understand how their actions are not supporting Scrum. 

10:08 pm June 27, 2019

Our QA is having this problem of nothing having anything to do while the developers are coding and the he get suddenly flooded with work 3 days to the end of the Sprint which he struggles to finish.

What is being done to limit work in progress, so items are completed earlier and more often?

01:46 pm June 28, 2019

So we are looking at Splitting the Sprint, having one sprint to develop and one sprint to test. Is this anti-Scrum?

As per me yes its Anti Scrum which can increase waste as mentioned by @Daniel in following sprints.

Why not try to use QA as an activity to prevent bugs than reporting bugs? What do you think about TDD or BDD ? Why not involve the tester during the development phase itself and find the problems early to save time later?

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.