Skip to main content

who should own the Jira board Development team or Scrum Master

Last post 09:51 pm December 3, 2021 by VD Tran
6 replies
07:13 am July 10, 2019

Hi All,

Please share your own thoughts on this topic with why?

It will be very helpful to me.

Thanks

Monika

02:32 pm July 10, 2019

Have the Development Team defined their workflow? Can they account for where it begins and ends in Jira?

03:13 pm July 10, 2019

Although Ian Mitchell asked some good questions, I'm more curious as to what you mean by "own". What does "ownership" of Jira, or any tool, actually entail? Also, why is the Product Owner not considered as a possible "owner" of Jira?

04:53 pm July 10, 2019

Who is doing the work accounted for on the board and why would anyone but those individuals own the board? Is a Scrum Master a Project Manager?

(I think this is first time I have ever been able to pull an @Ian!!) 

08:41 am July 11, 2019

Why not whole Scrum Team? PO has some responsibility in managing backlog (which I guess would be stored in JIRA), while then the Dev Team should update status of their work items in JIRA. It is not too much of a hassle, and brings a lot of transparency. The SM makes couches the other roles to do as described in previous sentence.

09:36 pm December 2, 2021

Did this ever get answered?  My opinion is that a PO "own" the product which may be represented as a Project in Jira.  

Additionally, the Development Team  "owns" the board that they work from, and carries out the DoD in a high-level visual manner via the Jira Scrum or Kanban board.

The Jira Project would not exist without a Product to deliver, and therefore having the PO "own" the Jira Project seems the correct route to take.  

The Jira Board, would not have anything done if it were not for the Development Team, and therefore having the Development Team "own" the Jira Board seems the correct route to take.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

Shonda

09:51 pm December 3, 2021

Just a little nitpick, it's the Developers, not Development Team.

What exactly is the content of a "Jira board"?

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.