Skip to main content

Sprint in environment/sustainability

Last post 05:13 pm July 10, 2019 by Ian Mitchell
3 replies
03:25 pm July 10, 2019

Hello everyone, I am trying to find out if there are any examples of people using Sprint or Scrum in environmental campaigning or management out there. Any suggestions are welcome but I am seeking someone who has used it to help shape an environmental campaign or similar e.g. trialled approaches to ecosystem management. Thanks in advance! All the best, Sarah 

04:45 pm July 10, 2019

Sorry I do not have the knowledge on this subject Sarah,

but how would this domain be different from other scrum implementations? Why would domain knowledge be that important, instead of implementing scrum on (just an example) digital marketing campaigns?

05:10 pm July 10, 2019

I have worked in an organization that used Scrum for Executive Staff initiatives, Human Resources, Event management, financial reporting and even some facilities management work.  While not exposed specifically to an environmental campaign my experience shows that Scrum can be used effectively in non-technical situations where work undertaken is not routine and and simple.  Complex problems where requirements change often are best suited for agile practices. It isn't a idea that is applicable to all situations. It can actually introduce complexity that isn't needed. 

My suggestion is that you understand the premise of the Scrum framework. Identify how the purpose of the described events, artifacts, roles can be used in your situation. Define the workflow that you use to deliver the value you are targeting. Determine if the iterative approach is really beneficial or even possible in your problem space.  I encourage you to also look at other implementations of agile practices such as Kanban or Lean.  It may be that no one framework/practice works and building your own hybrid solution may be better.

I know this isn't really specific but it is exactly how I would approach this situation.  If you don't understand, even at a high level, then you can't make a decision on what to implement.  If you do determine that you can implement agile practices I believe coming here with specific questions would be a good idea.  It may help you and it could also give all of us a chance to flex our muscles a bit into a new problem space. 

Good luck and please get us posted on your progress.   

05:13 pm July 10, 2019

Have you explored how lean and agile practice contributes towards the maximizing of value and the minimization of waste?

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.