Skip to main content

Using metrics in Scrum Events - Scrum with Kanban

Last post 10:51 am July 27, 2019 by Ian Mitchell
6 replies
11:53 pm July 22, 2019

Hello again guys

I took the PSK I test for the third time, and got a failure. I think the race is harder than PSM I, and PSPO I. But I won't give up.

There is a question that I have doubts, could you help me?

What metric do I use to answer the following question:

"When will this item be ready?"

Taking advantage of the topic, I set up the relationship below, do you agree?

Reunion | Metric

Planning -> Throughput

Daily -> WIP, Work Item Age, and SLE

Review -> Throughput

Retrospective -> All

Sorry for so many questions, I suffered a lot on the metrics side. I've read the documents a lot, but I would like interaction with the community to understand it better.

Thank you!

01:38 am July 23, 2019

Hi Claudio - I think the following article might help you https://www.scrum.org/resources/blog/4-key-flow-metrics-and-how-use-them-scrums-events. It appears as one of the suggested reading materials prior to taking the PSK1, especially without attending a PSK class first. 

You can validate your mapping compared to that article...

Without feeding you the answer with a spoon... Regarding "when will this item be ready" you need to think about which lean metrics are relevant for single items, and what kind of metric/concept can be used to answer these sort of questions about delivery expectations for single items...

rereading the guide together with the suggested reading should help you wrap your head around some of these metrics concepts...

HTH

04:31 am July 23, 2019

Which of the measurements related by Little’s Law allows time to be ascertained?

12:06 pm July 23, 2019

Average Lead Time = Average Work in Progress / Average Throughput

WIP average and throughput average can help me figure out the average time of an item, so I can give a rough date. But if the question only gives me one alternative, which way should I go?

12:39 pm July 23, 2019

But if the question only gives me one alternative, which way should I go?

You don't say what the options are, but the metric I'd look for would relate two measurements: the average cycle time and the approximate average cycle time. They ought to broadly match in order to evidence predictability.

09:21 am July 27, 2019

It might be helpful to refer back to the metrics in the Kanban Guide for Scrum Teams.

When you refer to "this item", if it is already in the workflow, then you should not disregard the Work Item Age. 

Understanding Little's Law is important, but I doubt it would directly answer the question you are asking.

What benefits do you think an SLE provides? How does that differ from providing an approximate average cycle time?

10:51 am July 27, 2019

Bear in mind that a useful forecast ought to include a level of confidence in any estimate made.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.