Skip to main content

How man scrum teams does my size organization have?

Last post 04:34 am August 6, 2019 by Ian Mitchell
3 replies
09:14 pm August 5, 2019

Good Afternoon, 

Scrum is new to our organization and we currently have three teams and we are setting up a fourth. Is there a sweet spot when it comes to the number of scrum teams at an organization level? We currently have approximately 330 employees and are growing quickly. 

Thank you, 

Brittany

10:08 pm August 5, 2019

I don't believe that there's a sweet spot for Scrum teams at the organizational level. The biggest limiting factor is most likely going to be organizing your teams around products. In the most basic case, where you have one team per product, it's pretty straightforward. The bulk of the scaling frameworks that I'm familiar with scale well to between 2 and 9 teams per product, but you'll probably need some different structures forming beyond that. There are some different ideas around what constitutes a product or a portfolio of products and focusing on defining product boundaries and having knowledgeable, empowered Product Owners and any necessary supporting staff in product management will probably be one of the biggest things to overcome.

10:08 pm August 5, 2019

My opinion is that there is no such thing as a "sweet spot".  An organization should have enough teams to get the work done on a consistent and ongoing basis while continuously providing value to the stakeholders.  The number of employees in the company and the rate of growth have no bearing on the number of Scrum Teams you utilize.  

However, if those 330 employees are all on the 3 current teams, that changes my answer in so many ways.  But I am going to assume this isn't the case. 

04:34 am August 6, 2019

Is there a sweet spot when it comes to the number of scrum teams at an organization level?

Probably, in so far as there is likely to be a constraint determined by organizational dependencies.

• How are the dependencies teams face — when trying to develop and integrate releasable increments each Sprint — currently visualized and managed?
  • What is the organization doing to descale the integration challenges teams face, so they have fewer dependencies to navigate?

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.