Skip to main content

Grooming

Last post 06:11 am August 23, 2019 by Ian Mitchell
2 replies
08:23 pm August 22, 2019

Hi,

I have a question, does refinement participate 10% of the development team or is it 10% of the team time?

In the guide I saw that is the capacity, would it be the quantity? And not the time, right?

10:56 pm August 22, 2019

Refinement usually consumes no more than 10% of the capacity of the Development Team.

However you measure capacity, 10% of is usually allocated to refinement activities. Personally, I tend to use working hours as a rough measure - 4 hours times the number of members of the Development Team per week of the Sprint. If I was being more precise, the Development Team doesn't have a capacity of 40 hours per week every week in the Sprint - some time is spent in Daily Scrum, Sprint Planning, Sprint Review, and Sprint Retrospective. It's probably closer to 3ish hours per week per Development Team member per Sprint.

Regardless, unlike other Scrum events, refinement isn't timeboxed. It's a rough approximation. Sometimes, a team can refine a sufficient portion of the backlog without using the full 10% of the capacity. Sometimes, the team will need significantly more time. Sometimes, most or all of the team will be involved in refinement. Othertimes, a subset of the team may do the refinement activities. I use the 4 hours per person per week of the Sprint as a high level baseline and spending significantly less or significantly more for an extended period of time would raise concerns that should be discussed with or among the team. Concerns from the Product Owner on the number of Product Backlog Items ready for refinement may also raise concerns.

06:11 am August 23, 2019

I have a question, does refinement participate 10% of the development team or is it 10% of the team time?

If 10% of the Development Team were designated to be Product Backlog refiners, how well do you think that arrangement would work out? What issues would be likely to arise?

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.