Skip to main content

Process to manage changing priorities mid-quarter

Last post 08:05 pm September 1, 2019 by Simon Mayer
3 replies
02:53 pm August 30, 2019

I am trying to come up with a proposal for a process that will show the progress of our features. Showing progress will give transparency and enable management to see what work will be impacted if they decide to increase scope or add another feature. I was thinking to create a Gantt chart, with the list of features, by team, and show the progress. The data would be generated based on the number of stories completed and the number of stories left. I would show this to management after every system demo. Would this be effective or can someone suggest a better idea? 

03:49 pm August 30, 2019

You may want to explore a Release Burn Up Chart, and reflect a cone of uncertainty (using best Sprint, Avg Sprint, Worst Sprint velocity or throughput).  The nice thing about the burn up is that it shows completed work by Sprint, and remaining forecast. I even added a line to that graph to show Product Backlog size (to show increase in scope).  It is a great visual for conversation with stakeholders (our forecast keeps moving because of scope add).

10:22 pm August 30, 2019

I am trying to come up with a proposal for a process that will show the progress of our features. Showing progress will give transparency and enable management to see what work will be impacted if they decide to increase scope or add another feature. I was thinking to create a Gantt chart,

Why doesn’t the Product Backlog offer adequate transparency over progress?

08:05 pm September 1, 2019

Why do you want to do this?

Is there a reason you're trying to solve this with a process?

Why is it that you're specifically making this transparent to management, rather than to all stakeholders?

Who is accountable for value delivered, and is that recognized as a separate concept to feature creation?

Why do you want to do this by team, rather than by product?

What is a system demo? How is it different to a Sprint Review? Are you using Scrum?

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.