Skip to main content

What is the “development organization” that the Scrum Guide refers to?

Last post 08:07 pm January 21, 2020 by Daniel Wilhite
9 replies
11:48 am September 22, 2019

What does the “development organization”, mentioned in the Scrum Guide under “Definition of ‘Done’”:

If "Done" for an increment is not a convention of the development organization, the Development Team of the Scrum Team must define a definition of "Done" appropriate for the product.

refer to?

A similar question has been posted previously: https://www.scrum.org/forum/scrum-forum/29060/what-does-scrum-guide-mean-development-organization and the answers explains why and how the DoD can be defined at different levels (organizational / product / team).

However, I would like to understand what the “development organization” means. Is it something over and above the Scrum teams and, if so, what?

03:10 pm September 22, 2019

It is the organization to which the Scrum Team(s) belong. This could be a product development organization within a company, a business unit, the company itself. The entire point is that the Scrum Team exists in some kind of context and this broader organization provides some of the structure around the Scrum Team.

04:10 pm September 22, 2019

Many thanks for the reply. So far I am with you, however, let me elaborate: I am facing a scenario with different Scrum teams working on different products and belonging to different business units. And while it is clear to me that we would benefit from an organizational level DoD we do not have any development organization over and above the Scrum teams. My questions, then, is who should / is best suited to set the organizational level DoD?

09:20 pm September 22, 2019

My questions, then, is who should / is best suited to set the organizational level DoD?

Suppose the products failed to satisfy stakeholders. Who, above and beyond the Scrum Teams, would be exposed to financial, legal, or reputational risk?

09:26 pm September 22, 2019

I am facing a scenario with different Scrum teams working on different products and belonging to different business units. And while it is clear to me that we would benefit from an organizational level DoD we do not have any development organization over and above the Scrum teams. My questions, then, is who should / is best suited to set the organizational level DoD?

If all of the Scrum Teams are part of the same company, there's someone that is above all of the Scrum Teams.

Alternatively, I'd wonder if there is a need for a common Definition of Done if the Scrum Teams all work on different products for different business units. Having a common Definition of Done is useful for aligning multiple teams working on a single product or in cases where you have a portfolio of multiple products. But it doesn't seem like there's that kind of coupling here.

08:55 am September 23, 2019

Ian / Thomas: My thinking is that IT is a good candidate to set the organizational DoD. Although IT is not above the Scrum teams, I believe the cross-organizational non-functional requirements are best formulated here. (E.g. coding standards, documentation, testing criteria) Do you have any thoughts on this?

Thomas: There are interdpendencies between the products in terms of e.g. information modelling, availabiliy of data, and infrastructure. But perhaps these aspects should be broken out and handled by another team, rather than considering the products as part of the same portfolio. 

12:16 pm September 23, 2019

My thinking is that IT is a good candidate to set the organizational DoD. Although IT is not above the Scrum teams, I believe the cross-organizational non-functional requirements are best formulated here. (E.g. coding standards, documentation, testing criteria) Do you have any thoughts on this?

I don't fully understand your organizational structure - it seems very strange to me, at least how it's described in text, so I may just be having trouble visualizing it correctly. To me, I consider that the Definition of Done "flows down" from broader parts of the organization to more specific parts of the organization, with each adding different levels. Perhaps compliance and regulatory considerations come from the highest levels and technical or integration items come from closer to the teams, for example. If you have the kind of horizontal structure that you're describing, then maybe horizontal groups (such as IT) may also contribute to the Definition of Done.

There are interdpendencies between the products in terms of e.g. information modelling, availabiliy of data, and infrastructure. But perhaps these aspects should be broken out and handled by another team, rather than considering the products as part of the same portfolio.

I don't think that moving things away from the team is the right thing to do at all. I tend to look at products, portfolios, and enterprises. An enterprise has 1 or products and 0 or more portfolios of products. A product belongs to at most 1 portfolio (but could also be stand alone). Considerations flow from the enterprise into the products and portfolios and from portfolios into their products. Each level can adopt the appropriate degrees of agility as necessary to serve their customers.

10:12 pm September 23, 2019

So far IT has mainly been a support function and there have been few or no compliance or regulatory considerations when it comes to software development. There is no cross-functional layer between the product organizations and the executive management group. I.e. no one possesses both competence and mandate to contribute to an organizational DoD.

07:47 pm January 20, 2020

My suggestion:

Set up a steering committee, or vision group as you would like to think, this group would be composed by the as senior as possible manager of each affected area.

If those guys can't guide DoD into company strategy none would.

I know it can be hard, but after the first interaction they will get use, just keep this event sharp and smart :)

08:07 pm January 21, 2020

If I understand correctly, each of your business units have a separate software development and product management organization with no common oversight across business units.  That is unique and hard to imagine.  

You say that it is clear to you that an organizational Definition of Done would be useful.  If it is apparent, then you should be able to identify the people that would contribute to the definition. I would also ask anyone else that shares your perception that it is needed to help define who would be best contributors.

I question whether IT is right. I can see where they could provide some corporate guidelines to limit the technologies and tools that can be used but I wouldn't see that as part of the Definition of Done.  

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.