Skip to main content

Release Burndown chart when Project has a lot of constantly changing requirements.

Last post 08:41 pm September 25, 2019 by Timothy Baffa
5 replies
04:10 pm September 25, 2019

Which metric is useful if we have project with constantly changing requirements? Is Release Burndown chart still better option?

Please share if you know any alternative.

04:14 pm September 25, 2019

I've used a 'Burn Up' chart before to achieve this. 

In order to make it useful the Scrum Team needs to be disciplined in their maintenance of said Burn Up Chart. 

For example.... If you're using Story Points.... 

If a new story is discovered that adds 8 points to the total scope this would need to be reflected in the trend line that you're burning up against. I've used an 'original' and a 'current' to reflect the emergent work discovered throughout the project. Typically you'll find you end up with much more than you started with. 

This can be a powerful discussion piece during the Sprint Review if kept up with properly. 

04:40 pm September 25, 2019

Hi Tony,

Thank you for the reply.

Not sure if I understood your answer.

Burndown and Burnup are inversely proportional. I mean it is just a different ways to present data.

So coming back to my original question, how does this helps if we have so many changing requirements?

04:47 pm September 25, 2019

In my opinion, the value of those artifacts regardless of it's a burn up or down is the conversation it can illicit. 

You'd need to find a way to reflect the impact of the changing requirements within your chart to illustrate the impact it has on the overall project.

Let's assume you're using a 'Burn Down' and the completed work lies above the trend line. It might be worthwhile to dig into why that might be....perhaps the team is confident they'll catch up in a few Sprints based on evidence, maybe the team discusses what moving the date or decreasing scope would do to the team's completed work in relation to the trend line. 

Ultimately, it should aid in the team's ability to inspect their progress and make informed decisions. 

05:24 pm September 25, 2019

Burndown and Burnup are inversely proportional. I mean it is just a different ways to present data.

Suppose on a particular day 3 points of work are completed and 3 points are added.

On another day, no work is completed or added.

Might the difference between these two scenarios be more evident in one chart than the other?

08:41 pm September 25, 2019

Sumit,

Burndown and Burn-up charts are not different ways to represent the same data.   Burn-up charts make added scope visible, while Burndown charts do not.

There is plenty of online information regarding Burn-up charts.   Below is just one example of such a source:

https://www.sealights.io/software-development-metrics/burn-up-chart-exposing-scope-creep-and-revealing-your-real-progress/

Please read up on Burn-up charts to learn more:

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.