Skip to main content

Nexus sprint planning

Last post 03:45 pm December 20, 2019 by Curtis Slough
3 replies
06:50 pm October 7, 2019

Hi, First of all, please help me how to find my own post on forum? I dont remember the topic name which i have written, this is why i cant look at replies and comments on my post.

My question below, 

In Nexus guide it says, 

Nexus Sprint Planning: Appropriate representatives from each Scrum Team meet to discuss and review the refined Product Backlog. They select Product Backlog items for each team. Each Scrum Team then plans its own Sprint, interacting with other teams as appropriate. 

Some representatives (not everyone from Scrum teams) define the goal of Overall Nexus Sprint together and then go back and discuss own sprint with all scrum team members. The question is, if Scrum team see that decision  is not unachieveable which representatives decided on Nexus Planning? So, if there is case occurs that some developer from Scrum was aware about situation and "appropriate representative" doesnt knew about it? How some representatives agrees on something and come and say to Scrum team "we decided on something and we should adjust our sprint goal to Nexus sprint goal" 

Thank you beforehand. 

01:58 pm December 19, 2019

Regular Sprint Refinements will help you to increase the awareness of dependencies and improvements for further Sprints. In Nexus guide it states that "Refinement is continuous throughout the Sprint as necessary and appropriate. Product Backlog refinement will continue within each Scrum Team in order for the Product Backlog items to be ready for selection in a Nexus Sprint Planning event." So that, there should be more concrete Sprint Goals in the Planning

04:58 pm December 19, 2019

Some representatives (not everyone from Scrum teams) define the goal of Overall Nexus Sprint together and then go back and discuss own sprint with all scrum team members.

If they did that, would they be representing their teams effectively and in a timely manner? Shouldn’t they consult with their teams, as and when needed, to ensure that Nexus Sprint Planning is realistic and achievable?

03:45 pm December 20, 2019

Some representatives (not everyone from Scrum teams) define the goal of Overall Nexus Sprint together and then go back and discuss own sprint with all scrum team members. 

Why do you think that "not everyone from Scrum Teams" define the goal? See what the Nexus Guide says about this:

During Nexus Sprint Planning, appropriate representatives from each Scrum Team validate and make adjustments to the ordering of the work as created during Refinement events. All members of the Scrum Teams should participate to minimize communication issues.

Yes, it somewhat contradicts itself by saying "appropriate representatives..." and the next sentence "all members..." This gives the Nexus more freedom to decide what works best for them. In our Nexus, we have a "global" sprint planning session that includes all of the Nexus members, followed by the Scrum Teams breaking out to formulate their plan to complete the backlog items they've chosen for the sprint. 

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.