Scrum Master or Product Owner member of Development team

Last post 06:05 pm October 17, 2019
by Tom Line
6 replies
Author

Hi,

In my team, one of the development team member has been playing the role of scrum master.

After going over scrum guide and nexus guide, I am having the question whether we can have Product Owner or Scrum Master  part of the development team in the same scrum team?

I would like to understand whether scrum.org suggests to have clear distinction between theses roles or can be left to the implementing team/organisation.

Regards,

Parag

05:56 pm October 15, 2019

Given the clear purpose of each role within the Scrum Team what challenges might arise if a Scrum Master was also a Development Team member?

How might one apply the 3 pillars of Scrum to this dual role? 

06:10 pm October 15, 2019
02:23 am October 16, 2019

After going over scrum guide and nexus guide, I am having the question whether we can have Product Owner or Scrum Master  part of the development team in the same scrum team?

The Scrum Guide says regarding Development Team size: “The Product Owner and Scrum Master roles are not included in this count unless they are also executing the work of the Sprint Backlog.” What do you think about that? Would it be relevant to your team’s situation?

11:13 am October 16, 2019

In my team scrum master seems to be part of development team.

Also by referring to the above scrum guide section referred by Ian, it seems scrum guide is not saying scrum team will be violating the rules of scrum if the scrum master or product owner is part of development team.

Said that, in my project I can clearly see conflict of interest playing a major role where developers tend be more developer and less of a scrum master.

04:33 pm October 16, 2019

Parag, it is an important point to remember that, while Scrum does not prohibit a Product Owner or a Scrum Master from also contributing as a Development Team member, there are many serious concerns with how each Scrum role can be preserved, recognized, and executed under such a construct. 

11:50 am October 17, 2019

hi everyone

I got few questions to ask regarding PM PO.

need someone's help to get my concepts right

let me know if someone can help me

thanks