Skip to main content

Release or Version Planning in Agile User Story Maps. Yes or No?

Last post 07:57 pm October 24, 2019 by Kevin Harter
5 replies
08:22 pm October 22, 2019

Hello I have seen competing thoughts about including release, sprint or version segments in an Agile User Story Maps.

To my knowledge you can create a User Story Map but then create a flat Product Backlog based on this. If new requirements are needed you can add to the User Story Map and also then the flat Product Backlog. This has the negative effect of having to manage 2 boards, but has the positive of being able to see a flat linear list and what is near the top should be most often pulled into the next Sprint.

But I am seeing examples of using just a User Story Map as a way to visualize a customer journey as well as a using it as the Product Backlog with sections for Sprints. This has the negative impact of not being able to see what is at the top of a linear list, but has the positive effects of keeping the customer in mind through visualizing their journey, and only managing 1 board. 

See this example image to help understand what I mean.

Let me know which you would go with or your approach!

12:51 pm October 23, 2019

Do you and the team find that the benefits of maintaining two boards outweigh the over head? 

But I am seeing examples of using just a User Story Map as a way to visualize a customer journey as well as a using it as the Product Backlog with sections for Sprints. This has the negative impact of not being able to see what is at the top of a linear list

If the team chooses to go with the more customer centered view perhaps there's a creative solution the team can come up with to handle the drawbacks. 

03:47 pm October 23, 2019

To my knowledge you can create a User Story Map but then create a flat Product Backlog based on this. 

Why do you think a Product Backlog has to be flat, and could not actually be a User Story Map?

08:26 pm October 23, 2019

Hi Ian,

How would the Dev team know which user stories were most important if using a User Story Map? Since there are both horizontal items (epics) and liner vertical items (user stories)?\

Tony those are great questions that will drive a solution!

Thanks!

11:50 am October 24, 2019

How would the Dev team know which user stories were most important if using a User Story Map? 

Wouldn't they be identifying a walking skeleton and MVP release candidates?

https://www.jpattonassociates.com/the-new-backlog/

07:57 pm October 24, 2019

Ian thanks for this article, very helpful!

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.