Skip to main content

Scrum or Agile implemented correctly or is it a SQWAT?

Last post 09:05 pm November 1, 2019 by Timothy Baffa
4 replies
03:35 pm October 31, 2019

Today I came across this great acronym SQWAT on LinkedIn. The acronym stands for Status Quo With Agile Terminology. I personally completely agree with the acronym and I have had experience of such SQWAT initiatives. Are there any ways to check if the organization is truly agile or implements Scrum the way it is intended? I might be particularly useful for new Scrum Masters or before accepting roles at a new organization. 

Any inputs are welcome. 

03:48 pm October 31, 2019

Where I've typically see SQWAT are with organizations just starting out in their agile journey or within organizations that have started the journey but don't have the executive sponsorship and support to truly make the tough changes. 

With a little observation I think this can be identified pretty quickly....as a Scrum Master coming into an organization though I think it comes down to what you're looking for... a company that is mature with Scrum? maybe one just getting started? or one that has been trying for some time but actually doing SQWAT. 

09:56 pm October 31, 2019

Are there any ways to check if the organization is truly agile or implements Scrum the way it is intended? I might be particularly useful for new Scrum Masters or before accepting roles at a new organization. 

I have a thread in a common vein focused on identifying ways to evaluate how well Scrum is going. I think it has become easy to misunderstand the purpose of Scrum and confuse it with delivering Customer Value. It's true your product should be delivering customer value through Scrum, but Scrum is designed to help you identify challenges so that you can fix them. Might want to ask about some recent challenges solved for and what kinds of challenges exist today. Implementing Scrum is easy, but obtaining the benefits of Scrum is difficult.

06:48 am November 1, 2019

Are there any ways to check if the organization is truly agile or implements Scrum the way it is intended?

How does the organization implement evidence based management? What outcomes does it look for, and how does it measure them empirically?

09:05 pm November 1, 2019

The easiest way for me to assess how an organization is implementing Scrum is to simply ask "What has changed?"

If the response is all about re-labeling existing practices, you have your answer.   If they're not doing anything new or different, you have your answer.   If they are just moving deck chairs on the Titanic, you have your answer.

Hopefully, the response you get is quite different than the above.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.