Skip to main content

[App Dev] Who should involve in story point estimation?

Last post 09:24 pm November 4, 2019 by Timothy Baffa
4 replies
05:44 am November 1, 2019

Hey guys, I've just started to practise scrum for a while.

Our company is working on an app & the development team consists of 3 people:

1. Android Developer
  2. iOS Developer
  3. Backend Developer

Problems that I encountered:

iOS & Android guys and the Backend guy always have a very different story point estimation. This is because sometimes the story doesn't always involve any heavy change in database or backend. For example:

• Story A: iOS(3); Android(5); Backend(21) → heavy workload for backend
  • Story B: iOS(8); Android(13); Backend(1) → no work for backend

Should I exclude the backend developer from the story point estimation for a more accurate estimation?

08:04 pm November 1, 2019

Does the team discuss the different estimation results?

Are the guys estimating all the work to be done or only their own work?

09:04 pm November 1, 2019

iOS & Android guys and the Backend guy always have a very different story point estimation. This is because sometimes the story doesn't always involve any heavy change in database or backend.

Why always? If they are indeed a team, why are they unable to collaborate with each other and reach a consensus?

07:32 am November 2, 2019

I believe we are not linking the story points to an hourly estimate. Complexity remains the same from different perspectives.

09:24 pm November 4, 2019

sometimes the story doesn't always involve any heavy change in database or backend.

Are you currently splitting stories by architecture?

Could a customer-facing prerequisite for each PBI help mitigate such splitting based on architecture?

How are you working with the team to promote a team-based ownership of items?

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.