Skip to main content

2 questions: There is an open Product Owner position in company because previous product owner has left this company

Last post 04:33 pm November 12, 2019 by Ian Mitchell
3 replies
02:32 pm November 12, 2019

Imagine following situation:

I am selected for Product Owner position but I need your opinion on 2 things:

1. How can I proceed working on product where previous Product Owner was (in the middle of the development). What are the steps to follow?
  2. How can I be fully and fastly introduced with this new product so I can start doing my role as Product owner as soon as possible. What are the steps to follow?
  3. Also, since I am new in this company, how can I have a future vision of this product and company? What are the steps to follow?

Thanks

Dejan

02:40 pm November 12, 2019

I'd start with talking to and shadowing the people. Spend time with operations, customers, the development team, etc. Find out where they think the opportunities are and begin to formulate the vision from there. 

There will be people who have spent time and are invested in their product, prove to them you are to despite being new. 

03:10 pm November 12, 2019

I agree with Tony. Go in, ask a ton of questions and then ask more questions. I would suggest you taking these 3 questions and asking your leadership because you need an idea of their expectations for your role. Overall, there really are no defined steps to follow in this situation. It is like with any new job you get, it takes time to get acclimated and you'll have to find what works the best. Just remember, you're not going to know everything you need to know in a week or even a month. It takes time, so lean on your teams to help you.

04:33 pm November 12, 2019

Perhaps there are no steps to follow at all. In Scrum, you should expect things to be emergent, and to inspect and adapt the things you do and how you do them.

Nevertheless, I would suggest you might start by learning what product value is, and how to best communicate it.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.