Skip to main content

Developers as Stakeholders

Last post 08:34 pm November 25, 2019 by Thomas Owens
2 replies
04:59 pm November 25, 2019

I work mostly with long-lived projects, with large existing code bases.

In order to get developer-driven issues addressing technical and architectural debt prioritized for attention, developers should be considered among the stakeholders in the project. I haven't seen this addressed in Scrum materials, and I'm curious if others have tried this kind of approach, what have the seen, and what have been the outcomes?

Thanks!

07:57 pm November 25, 2019

In order to get developer-driven issues addressing technical and architectural debt prioritized for attention

Prioritized for whose attention? The Product Owner represents stakeholders, but doesn’t a Scrum Development Team have the PO’s attention anyway?

08:34 pm November 25, 2019

I'm not sure why developers wouldn't be considered stakeholders. A stakeholder is anyone, whether it's a person or a group or an organization, with an interest in a product or project. Members of the development team have an interest in the product or process being developed.

I see two primary ways of prioritizing technical debt.

First, it can be implicit. That is, the development team (one or more members) has an internal knowledge of the technical debt of the system. This knowledge provides an input into their estimates of Product Backlog Items, and comes up through the refinement process. As technical debt accrues, the estimates for Product Backlog Items become larger and larger, until the team pays it down as part of completing the work.

Second, it can be explicit. The team can track specific pieces of work that can be done to pay down technical debt. This work can be tracked and linked as dependencies to other work on the Product Backlog. The idea is that if the dependent work is done, it will make other Product Backlog Items easier to accomplish with higher quality. If not done, there is a level of risk around schedule and quality.

Both can work, but it depends on your environment. There may even be other options. But the idea of not addressing technical debt somehow - either explicitly or implicitly - doesn't make much sense to me.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.