Skip to main content

Difference between Scrum Board and Kanban Board

Last post 06:29 pm October 30, 2023 by Boris Brtáň
6 replies
08:34 pm November 25, 2019

I thought a basic board that consisted of columns of "To Do", "Doing" and "Done" was a basic Kanban board and in the same context used complementarily in Scrum as well.

Is there really a difference? What is it?

08:45 pm November 25, 2019

There is no mention of a board in the Scrum Guide. The only Scrum Artifacts are the Product Backlog, the Sprint Backlog, and the Increment. A board is simply one way to represent a Sprint Backlog, and in some cases, the Product Backlog as well.

Personally, I don't see a huge difference between a "Scrum Board" and a "Kanban Board". However, I would expect that a Kanban Board to make some of the principles of Kanban more explicit. The biggest thing I'd expect to see on a Kanban Board would be work-in-progress limits, but I may also see other methods of visualizing the workflow. Calling it a Scrum Board may imply that the focus may be more on state/status rather than workflow visualization and work-in-progress limiting.

09:36 pm November 25, 2019

I thought a basic board that consisted of columns of "To Do", "Doing" and "Done" was a basic Kanban board and in the same context used complementarily in Scrum as well.

That sounds more like an elaborate To Do list.

A Kanban board should represent a model of production which is subject to conservation of flow. Its policies ought to be explicit, the enumeration of states is not enough. A strategy of this nature may then be implemented in Scrum so predictability can be improved.

09:43 pm November 25, 2019

Kanban Board and Scrum Board are pretty much the same thing in reality. Both visualize the work, both typically have To Do, In Progress, and Done, and both are managed by the development team. The primary difference is that Scrum doesn't prescribe a "Scrum Board", instead it states there must be a Sprint Backlog, but doesn't advise how it should be configured. In Functionality, a big difference between these boards is the fact that Scrum follows a time box Sprint so the Sprint Backlog (Scrum Board) is short lived as it changes each sprint. A Kanban board is long lived with the project/product and can be cleaned up as needed or never; just depends on what the team wants for that. 

10:26 pm November 25, 2019

In practice the only difference I have seen between Scrum and Kanban boards are that Kanban boards will include columns in the workflow that extend beyond just the Development Team.  Since Scrum Boards are typically used for visualizing the Sprint Backlog, the workflow is usually just what is needed for the development team to deliver.  In Kanban you will visualize the workflow that takes an item from idea to money so it will include columns for the Product group to do their due diligence of identifying opportunities and will also include columns for work done post "deployment" to get the features into the hands and in use by the intended audience such as Marketing Campaigns, User Training, etc. 

BTW, I also agree with everything said above my comment.  

05:03 am November 26, 2019

I used a popular product management software for visualizing the Sprint. One of the board configuration options was Kanban. The only difference between this board and the non-Kanban board was the WIP (Work In Progress) limit. If the team limited the Sprint Kanban board to 34 (Fibonacci) the board would not allow you to pull more stories in until something was moved out or Done. The non-Kanban board allowed any number of stories.

Personally, I don't advocate for one tool over another. They are not what make Scrum successful. I've done just fine with Excel and super-sticky post-its on super-sticky flip chart papers on the wall.

10:27 am October 29, 2023

Does that mean that "Scrum Board" term is OK to be used in Scrum ?

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.