Skip to main content

Multiple Teams within one space

Last post 08:25 pm November 27, 2019 by Timothy Baffa
6 replies
11:28 am November 26, 2019

In my organization we have two teams that handle different aspects of software namely front end and back end. We now have two scrum masters that want to run these two teams separate as they dont have a singular backlog.

Any words of wisdom? They teams are very different in terms of maturity and ways of working as currently, one team is running on one week Kanban and the other dedicated two week sprints.

03:09 pm November 26, 2019

Do these teams run into a lot of dependency issues between each other? If so, how do you feel that impacts their ability to create valuable software? 

03:37 pm November 26, 2019

I feel that @Tony Divel's question is the basis for everything.  If you are frequently limited by dependencies between the backend and frontend then I'd suggest rethinking how you look at your products/team makeup. But...

I have seen where the backend is developed entirely separately from the frontend with versioned APIs, etc. and the frontend will create features based on the availability of functionality provided by the backend.  In these cases it is typical that the backend is also providing the same APIs to multiple frontends (internal to the same company or external to integrators) so the two parts can be treated as separate products and thus could be worked on by 2 separate teams. 

The key is to be able to answer @Tony Divel's question and take a really hard look at what you build and deliver.

04:32 pm November 26, 2019

In my organization we have two teams that handle different aspects of software namely front end and back end. We now have two scrum masters that want to run these two teams separate as they dont have a singular backlog.

Do the Scrum Masters think it is wise to have separate backlogs for front and back ends? Do they really believe this is the best way for a Product Owner to order work so product value is maximized?

07:45 pm November 26, 2019

Why is that decision up to the Scrum Masters and why are they making that decision together instead of with the Scrum Teams themselves?

Would either team be considered cross-functional and self-organizing? Nobody tells the Dev Team how to do the work, so as servant leaders for the Product Owners, the Dev Team AND the Organization, the Scrum Masters should be coming to the conclusions collaboratively with each Scrum Team.

03:42 am November 27, 2019

Maybe they need to ask the team itself on how to solve or improve on this issue. There might the issue that the team is not aware that this is an issue at all.

08:25 pm November 27, 2019

We now have two scrum masters that want to run these two teams separate as they dont have a singular backlog

Why do you believe Scrum Masters "run" anything?

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.