New to Scrum Learning - Need Assistance !

Last post 11:52 am December 6, 2019
by Davie Elliott
5 replies
Author

Hi Team ,

I'm a new learner in Scrum ( Extremely basic ) and I'm basically from a Non - Tech field. I would like to explore different options in scrum and understand as how can i progress further in my career.

Request assistance to understand on the same !!

09:18 pm November 29, 2019

1 - read the Bible, oh sorry, the Scrum Guide

2 - return here after reading :))

10:21 pm November 29, 2019

Hi Neha Purohit.

Have you thought about first doing a Scrum Foundations course? It maybe the perfect place to start.

Good luck!

12:33 am November 30, 2019

You mentioned that you're from a non-technology background. Does that mean that you are planning on applying Scrum principles in a non-technology workplace or are you looking to transition to a technology workforce? Do you want to be a developer, a servant leader or manage Products?

I would strongly advise you to start with an in-person, two day Professional Scrum Foundations course. You will learn a lot from an instructor and other students in the class.

Public Classes.

02:16 pm December 3, 2019

I'm actually going to strongly disagree with the suggestions given to take the Scrum Foundations course. It is a great course, don't get me wrong, but there is a time to take that class and unless the OP provides more info; I don't think it would be a wise investment on her part.

She mentioned she is a new learner and exploring different options for using scrum in a "non-tech field", unless the OP has the amount of money needed to just spend on exploring options; there are MANY, MUCH cheaper options for exploring and learning about Scrum. 

@ Neha, my suggestion would be to utilize this forum, the scrum guide, and youtube for learning about Scrum right now. There are so many free resources out there that may be able to answer your questions. The foundations class is great, but it's not cheap. Just like when I've heard a teenager that they want to be a doctor or lawyer, I encourage them to interview a doctor or lawyer and see if that really is something that they want to do before spending several hundred thousand dollars on an education only to get into the field and it's not for them. 

That said, you mentioned you work in a "non-tech field", what field if you don't mind me asking? You'll get more ideas and help with a little more information.

11:52 am December 6, 2019

Although I already have my PSM1, I found this book https://www.amazon.co.uk/Scrum-Pocket-Travel-Companion-practice/dp/9401803757 a great read for understanding the basics.

And then reading the Road to PSM3 gave me an even deeper understanding:  https://medium.com/serious-scrum/psmiii/home

Also, one thing which will definitely help is, when you think you know enough about Scrum, take the open tests: https://www.scrum.org/open-assessments/scrum-open

That will give you a good indication as to where your knowledge black spots are.