Skip to main content

Scrum vs Professional Scrum? What is the difference?

Last post 06:47 pm December 7, 2019 by Simon Mayer
4 replies
04:35 pm December 6, 2019

I am positive there is some difference between the terms Scrum and Professional Scrum but I can't find any resource where Professional Scrum is defined. Does anyone in the community know what the difference is? What is the significance of the word "Professional" and if there is a formal definition somewhere?

04:45 pm December 6, 2019

Is Professional Scrum not just a the term used for the courses taught by Scrum Trainers certified by Scrum.org ? 

ex. Someone may take the Professional Scrum Training course offered by Scrum.org in order to prepare me for my Professional Scrum Master 1 certificate exam? 

01:55 am December 7, 2019

Steve - In Stephanie's new Professional Scrum book Dave West has a foreword where he writes an answer to "What is Professional Scrum". I would recommend picking up this book.

Typically Mechanical Scrum gets compared with Professional Scrum, but I am not sure there is a standard definition. Mechanical Scrum is Scrum, and while all the Scrum events are being executed, Scrum Teams are just going through the motions. They're doing Scrum which is a god start but is it enough? Can they get more from Scrum? By living the Scrum values and principles, Professional Scrum starts to emerge. I've also seem others mention Professional Scrum teams leverage modern technical practices as well (ie. XP practices such as TDD, pairing, refactoring, CI/CD, etc.). Professional Scrum teams use empiricism to solve complex problems and have a relentless focus on delivering value to their customers.

02:58 am December 7, 2019

@Chris Belknap, Thanks, that was helpful.

06:47 pm December 7, 2019

Professional Scrum teams use empiricism to solve complex problems and have a relentless focus on delivering value to their customers.

I applaud the attempt to highlight the flaws of Mechanical Scrum, but what Chris described is essentially just Scrum, and it doesn't need a prefix.

By placing too great an emphasis on Professional Scrum, aren't we ultimately implying that by default, Scrum is unprofessional, does not make use of empiricism, does not help solve complex problems, and doesn't deliver value to customers?

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.