Skip to main content

Why it's called developmet Team?

Last post 03:13 pm December 9, 2019 by Venkatesh Reddy
4 replies
10:13 am December 7, 2019

Hi Everyone,

While going through SCRUM guide I only get to read about Development Team but nowhere it is mentioned about the testing team. To my surprise one of the statement says that Development Team should be cross functional. Does it mean a Development Team consists of Developers and Testers? or Should Tester be kept outside of the Scrum Team?

Regards

Venky

04:03 am December 9, 2019

The Development Team is cross functional meaning it has the make up of the skills required to deliver the product to production including testing on the team...

09:23 am December 9, 2019

Hi Eric, thank you for reply, now I'm curious with the below line from the Guide:

If Development Team is cross functional then the below line says that Scrum recognizes no sub-teams in the Development Team?

• Scrum recognizes no sub-teams in the Development Team, regardless of domains that need to be addressed like testing, architecture, operations, or business analysis; and,

I'm a little confused with this topic of Development Team being cross functional and above line.

11:28 am December 9, 2019

The Scrum Guide states:

The Development Team consists of professionals who do the work of delivering a potentially releasable Increment of "Done" product at the end of each Sprint.

and:

Development Teams are cross-functional, with all the skills as a team necessary to create a product Increment

In order to define what "cross-functional" means, you also need to have an understanding of "releasable" and "Done". You also need to understand the implications of the choices in defining these terms, and evolving the definition over time.

So, I'd ask you: What does it mean for a product Increment to be "Done" and potentially releasable at the end of a Sprint? The answer to that question will determine if testers (and other roles) are part of a Scrum Team or belong to a downstream process that receives released Increments from a Scrum Team.

01:59 pm December 9, 2019

Hi Thomas,

Thank you for a detailed explanation, now I have a clear understanding. Glad you took me through the broader picture of DONE which made me understand the term Cross Functional and it's requirement.

Regards

Venky

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.