Skip to main content

VBA integration for scaled agile teams

Last post 05:51 pm December 14, 2019 by Mark Adams
4 replies
12:09 pm December 12, 2019

Ok so here is the scenario:

• I am working on two teams. Team A and Team B
  • The product that we are working on is a financial solution that utilizes Excel sheets for computations and data consolidation
  • Team A is working on the data modelling (SQL), Stored Procedures and API endpoints (Rest) 
  • Team B on the other hand is working on Excel sheets using VBA.
  • Yes the teams are (currently) not cross-functional, but we are trying to change that..
  • Now, we receive additional budget from the sponsors and we are about to hire additional people so we are thinking of adding a Team C.
  • For Team B, we are thinking of adding SQL/API experts so that the team could be cross functional and would have less dependencies from Team A.
  • We plan to have Team C to have similar skill sets

Everything is looking good but we realized that it is really difficult to integrated VBA work/excel sheets during development. It is not similar to other languages wherein you can easily merge builds using Github or Azure. I won't mind if we will exceed the ideal number of members of a Scrum Team if that will make the work of our developers less complicated and confusing. But I still wonder if some of you has experienced a similar situation or maybe you know any technology or approach that could help?

Thanks!

12:41 pm December 12, 2019

Try looking at it another way. You have an opportunity not to use configuration management tools as a crutch. Instead, there is an opportunity to collaborate by focusing on a single document and its state. There are only two or three teams who would need to self-organize any editing protocols. If a document is shared between teams on the cloud, there may be a version history and revert capability should it ever be needed. 

11:34 pm December 12, 2019

My preference is that if there are several Development Teams working on the same product, the stories and their associated dependencies be assigned to the same team. Scrum Master(s) will help me with collaboration between the teams so the combined work from the multiple teams results in a Done increment which is releasable. 

05:41 am December 14, 2019

Try looking at it another way. You have an opportunity not to use configuration management tools as a crutch. Instead, there is an opportunity to collaborate by focusing on a single document and its state. There are only two or three teams who would need to self-organize any editing protocols. If a document is shared between teams on the cloud, there may be a version history and revert capability should it ever be needed. 

Thanks Ian this is promising but could you be more specific? Here is  what the team is currently doing. Team B's developers are working on certain tabs and then one developer will announce to the team that he is done with his work and then the next developer will pick that sheet up. The sheets are in the Sharepoint repository but you won't be able to actually collaborate on that bec VBA doesn't work on Sharepoint. 

My preference is that if there are several Development Teams working on the same product, the stories and their associated dependencies be assigned to the same team. Scrum Master(s) will help me with collaboration between the teams so the combined work from the multiple teams results in a Done increment which is releasable. 

That's what we are doing right now, Mark. But how will you do this if management is willing to add you additional developers? Will you stick to the 3-9 ideal number of members despite it might cause confusion and integration issues?

05:51 pm December 14, 2019

As much as a I can, I push back on throwing bodies at Product development. Experienced high-rise construction companies are the same way. Fifty, skilled workers can do more work on a storey than two hundred workers running around trying to stay busy. I am candid with leadership that more people will result in chaos and will require the need to scale; something I am not fond of and do not advocate.

One approach I have seen was where a web-based application (which was the whole product for the company) was broken up into smaller products, each with their own Product Owner.

Logins/accounts/authentication = Team 1

Integrations with third-party vendors = Team 2

The most popular feature of this Product = Team 3

A new visualization feature of this Product = Team 4

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.