Skip to main content

Can PRINCE2 and SCRUM work together?

Last post 06:00 pm April 5, 2024 by Tanu Rai
12 replies
04:14 pm December 12, 2019

In theory, they could be used both because:

• PRINCE2  about managing the project’s process.
  • SCRUM about delivery

How can I relate the different aspects?

For example, is correct

Project Product Description --> Stories, Task ?

Is there a document explaining how to relate them?

11:28 pm December 12, 2019

What is the goal of trying to merge the two?

Are you working to produce high quality products for customers using empiricism or are you just executing on tasks on-time, on-budget, in-scope with the next two years etched in stone?

08:03 am December 13, 2019

We're trying to let the project managers (prince2 skilled) collaborate with the Scrum team to create a high quality product.

My job is to ensure that the Scrum process is being followed and I have to understand how I can make the most of both (PM and Scrum).

What actions can I take to follow Scrum's best practices while collaborating with PMs?

07:49 pm December 13, 2019

Hello Angelo,

I don't use PRINCE2 or PRINCE2 Agile, but APMG AgilePM (DSDM framework).

It's easy to make the connection between PRINCE2 Agile and AgilePM, and the DSDM Product Development cycle can be easily replaced by Scrum.

If you want, I can send you a 20 page introduction doc of AgilePM to you.

I'm not going to type, copy & paste it all in this comment box.

My email address is my first name without the accent follew by a "." (point), than my last name, than the at-symbol and we finish with "gmail.com".

Hope that it will help you.

With kind regards,

René

09:21 pm December 13, 2019

We're trying to let the project managers (prince2 skilled) collaborate with the Scrum team to create a high quality product.

Do you have reason to believe that if project managers are not involved, the product delivered by the Scrum Team will be of low quality?

12:22 am December 14, 2019

I recently asked a Program Manager why Project Managers were being assigned as stakeholders to every Product. The Program Manager's answer was that without a Project Manager to hold the reins, the Scrum Team would delve into chaos.

Aside from dogmatism, I do understand from speaking to executives that they just don't want to give autonomy to self-organizing Scrum Teams. This is why in organizations where Scrum or other Agile frameworks are followed, there is still a Portfolio Governance/Program Management office steering the ship.

06:20 pm December 14, 2019

Do they want to reduce waste (and bureaucracy...) or do they want just to keep their "power" ?

10:30 am December 15, 2019

Hi Angelo,

of course you can make Scrum and Prince2 work somehow together, but if you combine them you will have a big risk the organization sees Scrum as only software delivery framework.

In that case the scrum team will f.e not be able to do a proper product development or the Scrum Master gets no support for removing impediments outside of the team.

That's something I learned.

Nils

02:25 pm December 16, 2019

Thanks all for the answers!

I know that the best practice is to not introduce other roles outside the Scrum scope.

Many of you answer as if this were the only possible choice.

In companies where the figure of the project manager exists, they certainly cannot be fired.

The goal is therefore to make the best from the combination of PM and Scrum Team (keeping in mind all the impediments).

So the PM will help us "to reduce waste (and bureaucracy...)" and I'd like to know if someone collaborated with PM who used Prince2.

Thanks a lot!

A.

02:40 am December 23, 2019

Hi Angelo,

Have you explored the official AXELOS 356-pages guide book for PRINCE2 Agile?

06:55 am December 23, 2019

In companies where the figure of the project manager exists, they certainly cannot be fired.

I think this is the wrong approach.

Certainly, we shouldn't default to letting people go without trying to find a better option, but any transformation is inherently disruptive.

There will be many skilled people within an organization whose existing role becomes obsolete, or even destructive to the new approach; but that doesn't mean we need to keep them working in the same way.

I've worked with Project Managers who have the necessary skills and mindset to become good Product Owners and Scrum Masters. Some might even have other expertise, such that they could join the Development Team as a Business Analyst, UX designer, or engineer.

Some might move to other parts of the organization, such that they are no longer involved with the product.

But if the organization does its best to bring people along, and they are unable or unwilling to keep the organization moving forward, why shouldn't their job security be up for debate?

Failure to deal with such issues is a lack of leadership and could sink an organization.

As unwillingness and an inability to adapt are rewarded, you risk the loss of your most motivated and competent staff.

01:17 pm October 6, 2023

I am looking for some help in producing a Business governance document for Agile - Scrum framework projects.  They currently use a traditional PID for stage gated Waterfall projects.   Has anyone a template that has been adjusted for business governance of Agile projects.........it will help to gain confidence of senior leaders so they can see governance is in place 

05:58 am April 5, 2024

Indeed, Prince2 and Scrum can complement each other effectively in project management. Prince2 provides a structured framework for managing the overall project process, focusing on governance, roles, and stages. On the other hand, Scrum is an agile methodology that emphasizes iterative development and delivery within shorter time frames.

To relate the different aspects of Prince2 and Scrum:

Integration of Governance and Delivery: Prince2's governance shape may be included with Scrum's iterative improvement cycles. whilst Prince2 provides oversight and manipulate at the mission degree, Scrum groups can use their autonomy within these parameters to supply increments of labor in brief iterations.

Roles and Responsibilities: Prince2 defines clear roles and responsibilities for challenge management, inclusive of undertaking manager, crew manager, and challenge board. these roles can align with Scrum roles like Scrum grasp, Product proprietor, and development crew, ensuring clarity and duty at some stage in the venture.

Project Planning and Sprint Planning: Prince2's assignment planning ranges can align with Scrum's dash planning sports. the overall assignment plan can outline milestones and deliverables, whilst dash making plans periods can cognizance on detailing obligations and commitments for each iteration.

Change Management: Prince2's trade control procedures may be adapted to accommodate Scrum's flexibility and responsiveness to alternate. trade requests may be evaluated in the Prince2 framework at the same time as allowing Scrum teams to adjust priorities and scope throughout sprint opinions and retrospectives.

Through integrating Prince2's challenge management concepts with Scrum's agile practices, groups can gain from a holistic approach that mixes governance, structure, and flexibility to deliver a hit projects inside a managed surroundings. This method allows for efficient task management while permitting adaptability and innovation for the duration of the development system.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.