Skip to main content

Are Scrum Users same as key stakeholders attending sprint review

Last post 12:45 am January 4, 2020 by Simon Mayer
7 replies
05:48 am December 30, 2019

Hello, 

The term "Scrum users" appears in the Inspection part of the Scrum guide. It says "Scrum users must frequently inspect Scrum artifacts and progress toward a Sprint Goal to detect undesirable variances..."

Also, this post describes categorizes scrum stakeholders into End user, Internal and External customers

Scrum: Who are the Key Stakeholders that Should be Attending Every Sprint Review?

According to the Scrum Glossary, a stakeholder is "a person external to the Scrum Team with a specific interest in and knowledge of a product that is required for incremental discovery. Represented by the Product Owner and actively engaged with the Scrum Team at Sprint Review."

Now, I believe term 'Scrum user' is same as scrum key stakeholder. Is this notion right, please explain if not and post your thoughts. 

04:19 pm December 30, 2019

What are your thoughts about members of the Scrum Team being Scrum users?

09:28 pm December 30, 2019

Scrum users must frequently inspect Scrum artifacts and progress toward a Sprint Goal to detect undesirable variances..."

Look at that sentence again and identify what they are inspecting.  Who would be best suited and derive the most benefit from inspection of the Scrum Artifacts (https://scrumguides.org/scrum-guide.html#artifacts) as they are defined in the Scrum Guide? Same question for the inspection of the Sprint Goal? Are these individuals the same as a stakeholder who is external to the Scrum Team and who's primary interest are the increments of value being delivered?

03:12 am January 2, 2020

There might be cases where other teams or departments are not using scrum but would like to know what was done by a particular team.

In our office, the other departments (e.g. support group or sales) are not using scrum but are attending our sprint review (not all of them attend).

08:20 pm January 2, 2020

In our office, the other departments (e.g. support group or sales) are not using scrum but are attending our sprint review (not all of them attend).

These sound like stakeholders. By attending the Sprint Review, would you not agree that they're using Scrum?

If not, why are they there?

12:47 pm January 3, 2020

My understanding - Team who are directly/indirectly connected with the increment  are stakeholders and scrum users  are scrum team 

05:07 pm January 3, 2020

In my opinion, the delineation is between those who use Scrum (i.e. - the Scrum Team), and those who benefit or have interest in the product (i.e. - stakeholders).

Attending a Scrum event should not imply that they are now "users" of Scrum.   To use an analogy, I may attend a football game, and have an interest in how one team performs (stakeholder), but that doesn't mean that I'm a member of the team (user).

12:45 am January 4, 2020

Perhaps it's just an oversight, but I would expect if Ken and Jeff meant the Scrum Team, they would have written that, rather than "Scrum users".

The Scrum Master's service to the organization includes:

Leading and coaching the organization in its Scrum adoption;

Helping employees and stakeholders understand and enact Scrum and empirical product development;

Adopt can be a synonym for use.

I've encountered much more effective stakeholder engagement, when they know how to use Scrum; particularly the Sprint Review.

In this case, I think the terminology is of little relevance; unless it influences our behaviour towards those outside of the Scrum Team. The way we collaborate with stakeholders is fundamental in allowing proper inspection.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.