Skip to main content

CEO asks Scrum Master for cause for small increment, who is responsible

Last post 07:18 pm January 3, 2020 by Curtis Slough
11 replies
06:10 am December 31, 2019

Everyone is disappointed with the small number of completed items in the first Sprint. The CEO asks the Scrum Master for an explanation on who is responsible for this. What should she reply?

A. All three roles are responsible

B. The Development Team is responsible

C. Two of the Development Team members that were sick for a number of days through the Sprint are responsible

D. Product Owner has the primary responsibility

I felt the answer is B: The Development Team is responsible, Because Scrum guide says the Dev team is solely responsible for the 'Done' increment of Product. However, this paints Dev team in bad light and may cause rebuke from Dev Team and tossing blame will hamper the productivity. 

I feel the question is really badly worded, however a really a practical one. Please help. 

08:33 am December 31, 2019

Might the answers be as poorly composed as the question?

Some points to consider:

• If “everyone” is disappointed, might “everyone” be responsible for finding improvement?
  • If the CEO is looking for an explanation, why? What particular responsibility - or accountability - might he or she have in regards to organizational change?
  • How can the SM make best use of having CEO access?

12:27 pm December 31, 2019

I think this question is poorly phrased and there's insufficient context.

The first thing that stands out is the focus on the small number of items completed. Why does the number of items matter? The number of items isn't representative of the value or impact of those items on the various stakeholders. How much value was delivered to users? What did the team learn about or enable with respect to future work? Delivering value - to the users, to the Product Owner, to the Development Team - is where the focus needs to be, and not on the quantity of work items completed.

The problem also calls out the fact that it is the first Sprint. How long has the team worked together? How familiar are the team members with the context - the environment, the problem domain, the processes, the tools? The team may very well be in a learning phase. As a team, they could still be in a forming or norming phase and not yet highly efficient. They may also be learning more about the context in which they are working.

Even if the team is already in a performing phase and working in a familiar context, the first Sprints are always more difficult. Even with experience working together and an understanding of the context, Scrum (and, more generally, the agile methods) are applied in areas with greater amounts of uncertainty. There may simply be additional uncertainty as the team discovers an initial path forward.

This situation may be practical, but I think it's more indicative of a CEO who doesn't understand agile methods or Scrum and not something that is the responsibility of the Development Team. This should be revisited in another 2 or 3 Sprints. By this point, the team should have had the opportunity to improve. They would have developed a deeper understanding of the Product Backlog, gone through Sprint Retrospectives to improve their way of working, and begun to cut through some of the short-term uncertainty and ambiguities.

03:07 am January 2, 2020

Why is the CEO worried if it was the only the first sprint? What is small number to him? As what the others mentioned above, there might be other factors to consider beside being the first sprint.

01:14 pm January 2, 2020

Who is responsible for maximizing the value of the product resulting from work of the Development Team ?

02:11 pm January 2, 2020

Where did this question come from?

04:51 pm January 2, 2020

I second @Curtis Slough's question because I want to warn people to avoid the site. 

That question is very poorly constructed because it lacks a lot of context and it lacks the correct answer.  The correct answer is 

E. The Scrum Master should take the opportunity to coach the CEO on how Scrum doesn't measure number of items and measures value delivery instead.

For example...the team only completed 2 items but they were able to deliver solutions for the 2 bugs that have caused the largest number of support calls in the last 3 months.  Is that bad?

08:31 pm January 2, 2020

Well of course, nobody knows the answer in this hypothetical scenario.

But it is possible that the team took decisions to restrict delivery in the current sprint, in order to allow faster innovation later on.

Taken to its extreme, this starts to resemble Big Design Up Front, but finding the right balance is possible, and it's a trade-off that many teams have to confront.

This becomes particularly relevant if someone is accountable for the delivery of value over both the short and long term.

02:51 pm January 3, 2020

Velocity becomes more consistent as a team matures together. There has got to be a learning/ramp-up/gelling period. 

Scrum allows for heavy team interaction and instant connection. Sprint 1 for a new team, new product, new company is always messy. 

To answer your question, the responsibility of a lackluster result is owned by the team. 

Tell the CEO to calm down, support scrum, make sure the team is releasing potentially releasable software each iteration and keep your devs happy. 

06:22 pm January 3, 2020

The worst way a Scrum Master could reply is saying the development team is responsible for this. The SM protects the team, we don't throw them under the bus.

Are your feathers comfortable? Great, I'm going to ruffle them like crazy... The party ultimately responsible in this scenario is the Scrum Master. Hold on, hold on, don't start ranting about this yet, hear me out.

The CEO has a certain expectation for Scrum and the team. Is it wrong for the CEO to have that expectation, especially given it's the first sprint? NOPE! The SM is responsible for coaching the organization to learn and adopt an Agile Mindset & Principles, as well as understanding the Scrum Framework. Clearly, the SM in this scenario has not done that. The SM didn't work with leadership or the team (considering it says "everybody is disappointed") to understand that Scrum is about delivering a valuable increment of working software, it not about delivering a bunch of backlog items. Scrum is not about quantity of backlog items but value delivered to the customer. Value is relative and does not equate to a number of backlog items. Value can be delivered in 25 backlog items or a single item. 

A previous mentor of mine always said "Disappointments come when expectations aren't met", had the SM worked to ensure that expectations were set appropriately; this wouldn't be an issue and there wouldn't be any disappointments.

06:26 pm January 3, 2020

@Curtis Slough.  Full disclosure.  I will be stealing that explanation for future discussions.  That was very well said. 

07:18 pm January 3, 2020

@Daniel, do it my friend! 

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.