Skip to main content

Estimations in customer projects from a team with yet unstable velocity

Last post 07:49 am January 7, 2020 by Volker Wassmuth
7 replies
08:03 pm January 3, 2020

First of all: Happy new Year to you! I’d like to ask you about your ideas or advices in a challenging situation. We recently transformed the handling of several (sub)projects in a long running customer relationship into agile. These (sub)projects all belong to the overall customization of one of our products and are handled by the same developer team.

Part of this transformation is that our team got used to estimations in story points. This works already pretty well, but the team didn’t develop a stable velocity yet. The customer, although generally open to the idea of agile, still needs an fix-price offer for each of these sub-projects, as well as for individual, accumulated “small changes” prior to ordering them. It would probably be easier to bill our work based on time & material, but the customer isn’t at that point yet. Given a stable velocity, it would be possible to calculate the “cost” of each story point.

How do you deal with these uncertain estimations from a team which has just left the “storming”-phase and now entered the “norming”-phase? For teams, that do internal product development, that might not be a big deal, but for end customer projects, story point estimations without a predictable velocity doesn’t seem to suffice. We could do estimations on a timely basis in parallel, but that would somehow destroy the teams story point habits. Any ideas?

08:32 pm January 3, 2020

We recently transformed the handling of several (sub)projects in a long running customer relationship into agile.

Why, what was the motivation for doing so? How did you evidence success?

The customer, although generally open to the idea of agile, still needs an fix-price offer for each of these sub-projects, as well as for individual, accumulated “small changes” prior to ordering them.

That's what a Sprint is for, in so far as it constitutes a small project. So why not offer them a fixed price per Sprint? At the end of each an agreed goal will be met and a useful product increment will be delivered.

01:10 pm January 4, 2020

Hi, Ian,

Thank you very much for your reply. Our motivation for the transformation was triggered by several issues. The main problem was the permanent loss of focus. This was mainly due to the customer's project manager, who was constantly switching between several sub-projects. The deadlines were unclear and were postponed every few days. As a result, important and time-critical features were simply forgotten and the project manager on our side was held responsible. By shifting the focus to clear intervals (aka sprints) and defined deployment dates, we helped the customer to pay attention to the explicit planning of upcoming features. And the team was able to concentrate on the sprint goal without constantly interfering.

I like your idea of offering fixed price sprints with a defined feature set. But how do we deal with the offered functionality that is not finished? The next sprint will follow immediately afterwards. I would say that the following sprint could be offered at a lower price to leave room for the completion of the functionality offered so far, wouldn't you?

04:58 pm January 4, 2020

I like your idea of offering fixed price sprints with a defined feature set.

That’s not what I’m suggesting, or what Scrum provides for. My suggestion is to fix the price of a Sprint, each one of which will have a defined goal.

But how do we deal with the offered functionality that is not finished?

Work that is not needed to meet the current Sprint Goal, but which may be planned into future Sprints, is ordered on the Product Backlog by the Product Owner. The Development Team will assist with refinement and provide estimates.

07:06 pm January 4, 2020

II know, and I see what you mean. The thing is, our client is not mature enough to understand the meaning of a goal, at least not yet. I have to admit that I hope we get to that point, but we have to be careful to get there. Right now, from a customer perspective, a sprint goal is nothing more than a select set of features (aka user stories) that the team is committed to. And if the team fails to deliver them by the end of the sprint, for whatever reason, the customer will not pay the bill until they have all the stories from the sprint backlog.

08:50 pm January 4, 2020

It seems there may be a rationale for incremental delivery with frequent milestones, in so far as the customer can benefit from the improved focus you describe. However, that is not a justification for using Scrum, which is about managing the uncertainty of complex product development. This is done by framing Sprint Goals and then inspecting and adapting progress towards them.

Scrum stands or falls on the usefulness of having these goals and the appetite for validated learning. My advice is therefore to rethink the decision to “Sprint” and what you hope to gain from it. Perhaps it would be better to try and improve continuous flow for example, and defer the implementation of Scrum until such time as the product environment might require it. At the moment, it sounds as if the real “goal” for each “Sprint” is just to get the customer to pay the bill.

09:10 pm January 4, 2020

Quite simply, overestimate the budget based on the higher-end of the medium to high velocity. 

07:49 am January 7, 2020

Thanks again for your answers! You have given me valuable advice, which I will think about.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.