Skip to main content

1st Scrum Master role....

Last post 04:31 am January 24, 2020 by Simon Mayer
4 replies
03:42 pm January 23, 2020

So I was just offered my first actual Scrum Master role.  I've played the part earlier.  But this brings a whole new level.  How do I know I'm doing a good job, and being effective for the team?

06:30 pm January 23, 2020

The Scrum Guide outlines the services a Scrum Master ought to provide to the Product Owner, the Development Team, and the Organization. Why not start with that?

02:36 am January 24, 2020

Learn about, and practice, Level II and III listening.

04:27 am January 24, 2020

Your answer is in the question you ask! 

"How do I know I'm doing a good job, and being effective for the team?" Ask the team, get feedback from the team members. During sprint retrospective you can ask them how can i be of better service to you?  

Talk to, share and communicate with other experienced scrum masters and implement the ideas in your role and reflect on the implemented idea get feedback and improve or try a new idea. 

04:31 am January 24, 2020

Try to meet other Scrum Masters, and ask for help and feedback.

If you have other Scrum Masters in your organization, they will be in a better position to challenge and assist you. But also try to attend meetups, conferences, or find places like this forum to meet other experts and get further insights.

Also regularly ask for feedback from your team and other stakeholders in your organization. They might not fully understand what your role should be, and they might have little or no prior experience of Scrum to draw on, but they can tell you how they find it working with you, what you're doing that helps them, and what potentially makes their work harder or less effective.

Keep in mind your job isn't to make people happy (although if you're lucky, happiness is a nice side-effect), so try not to view this feedback in simplistic terms, but consider whether it's the sort of thing people would say to a good Scrum Master.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.