Skip to main content

What is affecting the outcome of a sprint?

Last post 09:01 pm January 27, 2020 by Ian Mitchell
5 replies
11:52 am January 26, 2020

Currently we are discussing what is mainly drivig the outcome of a sprint. I (as the SM) stated that only skills and working relationships of the people on the Scrum Teams  has an impact. My colleagues argue that also the stability / complexity of the technology and the complexity of the requirements play a strong role. What is your view on this? 

12:03 am January 27, 2020

If you're talking about outcomes, could the ability to quickly respond to customer feedback have a strong impact?

12:50 pm January 27, 2020

Why can't all of these, and more, all contribute to the outcome of a Sprint? Also, why couldn't each Sprint have a different set of factors and amount of contribution from each of those factors?

I'm curious at what you're trying to achieve by narrowing down the factors that affect the outcome of a Sprint. Product development is a complex system of people and interactions and processes. I don't really see the value in a general discussion of what drives outcomes of Sprints. I'd rather focus on what contributed to particular successes or failures of a particular Sprint and what can be done to prevent those failures or shortfalls and promote those successes.

04:56 pm January 27, 2020

In addition to what Thomas pointed out, I would also like to know why there is a need to narrow down what is "mainly" driving the outcome of a sprint. Do you intend to have this discussion to create an "active control" for factors that are (allegedly ) driving the outcomes? Or do you want to create a hierarchy of potential impediments using this knowledge?    

05:56 pm January 27, 2020

The Sprint Goal mainly drives the outcome of a Sprint as it defines the reason for the sprint and goal for what will be in the delivered increment of value.  The items you listed drive the ability of a team to produce and self-organizing.  

I'm going to jump on the "why are you discussing this" wagon because the way you have phrased the question makes it sound very much like trying to decide who's job is more important. 

09:01 pm January 27, 2020

What is your view on this? 

Think of people, technology, and requirements as three variables affecting outcome. Imagine them as dials rather than switches.

With that model, how far do you and your colleagues think each of them ought to be turned up or down, relative to each other, to best indicate the truth you see?

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.