Skip to main content

Increment description appears to be factorial

Last post 03:41 pm February 4, 2020 by Ian Mitchell
6 replies
03:40 pm February 3, 2020

In the Statement "The Increment is the sum of all the Product Backlog items completed during a Sprint and the value of the increments of all previous Sprints"

do the words "and the value" indicate  addition ?

If so, since the increments of the previous Sprints also contain the sums of all previous Sprints, one ends up with a factorial function.

My old fashioned Dictionary (goggle) describes an increment as just the additional part, i.e. here the sum of all  Product Backlog items completed during a Sprint.

"an increase or addition, especially one of a series on a fixed scale"

Even if I Interpret the Statement to be the work done in a sprint plus the previously done work, that seems like a Grand Total, not an increment.

04:23 pm February 3, 2020

Please note, I am not thinking of Software but of say a Widget factory. If only 8 items are produced in a sprint then the customer should only be invoiced for the 8 items and not 8 plus the sum of all previously delivered items.

05:25 pm February 3, 2020

When I read that phrase, my understanding is that the intention is to indicate that the value does not decrease because of the work done. The output of every Sprint is a potentially releasable Product Increment. Every Increment has all of the Product Backlog Items that achieved Done in the current Sprint, plus all Product Backlog Items done in every previous Sprint. The value of a given Increment is not going to be less than the value of a previous Increment - that is, if the potentially releasable Product Increment were to be released by the Product Owner, the value would be as much as the previous released Product Increment, if not more.

10:03 pm February 3, 2020

I read it as the increment of Sprint 5 includes the increments from Sprint 1-4 because you are incrementally delivering value.  Each Sprint delivers a potentially releasable increment and at some point the decision is made to release it.  So you would include all Sprint increments since the last release.  

For a better way to envision it think of this example. The goal is to release a product that allows users to have a task list online.  First Sprint you release a user interface that shows a list of things (typically a list of stuff created by manually inserting rows into a database.) This allows you to get feedback on the user interface layout.  Second Sprint provides the ability to add an item. Third Sprint adds the ability to update an item.  The ability to delete items comes in the Fourth Sprint.  Ability to mark items as "in process" or "completed" comes in Fifth Sprint.  Now we have something that has enough functionality to release.  Each sprint builds upon the previous sprint. 

Now whether you want to use mathmatical terms to explain that or not is up to you. I just see it as incremental delivery of the solution to a problem. 

02:38 am February 4, 2020

If an increment did not incorporate the value of prior increments, the work to realize the missing value would have to be accounted for again on the Product Backlog.

03:06 pm February 4, 2020

Hello , thanks for your answers. I think my misunderstanding is the scrum specific meaning of the word increment.

For example in pseudo Code :

(Lay People) :    Total = Total + Increment

(Scrum) :  Increment = Increment + WorkFinishedInSprint

03:41 pm February 4, 2020

Increment = Product + WorkFinishedInSprint

Product = Release(Increment)

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.