Skip to main content

Company Wants Me To Commit Every Four Weeks

Last post 12:36 pm February 11, 2020 by Ian Mitchell
3 replies
07:55 pm February 5, 2020

The company where I work wants me to commit to doing so many epics every four weeks and one of our KPIs is the percentage of committed epics done.  So, if we commit to 10 epics and 8 are done then we have a 80% success rate as a team for that four weeks.

The company is so large that we will not get any feedback from the customer for half a year as we release as a company then.  For this reason I wanted to choose Kanban but I think I cannot use that as we need the sprints to commit. What are you thoughts, is it possible to mix the WIP of the Kanban with the 4 week cycle of commitments?

In addition, some other manager has made some guidelines that the sprints are two weeks in length to get faster feedback.  I am thinking that this is useless as we need to commit in four week chunks. Also we release to the testing daily that I think we will get no added benefit from two week sprints.  Do any of you see any benefit to using 2 week sprints in this case?

Thanks

02:09 am February 6, 2020

I think you need to consult with other team mates who practice agile and have a discussion of whoever is insisting you to commit that number of epics. They might have a different understanding of agile or the framework you are using.

I think the week in the sprint is not the problem, I think the problem is the understanding between your management, your stakeholder and your teams are not aligned to one another.

12:56 pm February 6, 2020

The company where I work wants me to commit to doing so many epics every four weeks and one of our KPIs is the percentage of committed epics done.  So, if we commit to 10 epics and 8 are done then we have a 80% success rate as a team for that four weeks.

As a Scrum Master you need to make transparent to your company that focusing on outputs rather than outcomes is not valuable. So what if you complete 100% of epics and no one wants to use your product?  Turn this around to start focusing on value measurements. Check out Evidence Based Management for ideas on Key Value Metrics: https://www.scrum.org/resources/evidence-based-management

The company is so large that we will not get any feedback from the customer for half a year as we release as a company then.  

I see the pillars of empiricism crumbling at your feet. Might this be an impediment you need to make transparent? How can the feedback loop shorten so your company can make better decisions based on evidence and facts?

In addition, some other manager has made some guidelines that the sprints are two weeks in length to get faster feedback.  I am thinking that this is useless as we need to commit in four week chunks. 

Why is this manager making decisions for a self-organizing team on a Sprint length? How long can your Product Owner and Development Teams wait for feedback? Is this something for a Scrum Master to help teach/coach the manager?

12:36 pm February 11, 2020

What are you thoughts, is it possible to mix the WIP of the Kanban with the 4 week cycle of commitments?

What evidence does the team have that these so-called "commitments" are realistic and achievable?

Do any of you see any benefit to using 2 week sprints in this case?

Let's take a step back and focus on the empiricism Chris mentioned. How do you see empirical process control being established in the scenario you describe?

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.