Skip to main content

Can the PO invite stakeholders to PB refinement sessions?

Last post 07:17 pm March 3, 2020 by Ian Mitchell
7 replies
02:47 pm February 28, 2020

07:12 pm February 28, 2020

@Katharina Kluge, I don't see any reason why they can't. The purpose of the backlog refinement is to help the PBI's get an order, estimate and detail and if the stakeholders can help with this process, then that's good in my opinion. Also, they would be involved much earlier in the decision making and they may feel more closer to the work. 

Does that help answer your question?

09:16 pm February 28, 2020

Indeed, I can see a lot of benifit, if the stakeholders can contribute. For the SM (and team) they need to make sure stakeholders are not interfering

10:07 pm February 28, 2020

I don't see anything that would prohibit inviting external stakeholders, but I would have questions.

I would want to understand why. The Product Owner should be able to understand all of the Product Backlog Items, since the Product Owner is responsible for "ensuring the Development Team understands items in the Product Backlog to the level needed." If they are being invited because the Product Owner has insufficient knowledge to handle refinement, it seems like it's setting up for problems if questions arise during the course of the Sprint.

If all of the stakeholders can't be present, there may be pressure to give deference to the stakeholders who are present, even if their needs aren't as important in the broader scheme of the product. This may add some coordination overhead to planning refinement beyond what the team currently does.

Finally, it places burden on the team (perhaps the Scrum Master) to make sure that the stakeholder understands the purpose of the refinement and doesn't interfere with the team's process.

I'm not sure I'd recommend outside stakeholders in many cases, but I can see cases where it would be interesting to think about and talk about with the team.

12:40 pm February 29, 2020

There is absolutely nothing in Scrum that says how refinement is done.

Product Backlog refinement is the act of adding detail, estimates, and order to items in the Product Backlog. This is an ongoing process in which the Product Owner and the Development Team collaborate on the details of Product Backlog items. During Product Backlog refinement, items are reviewed and revised. The Scrum Team decides how and when refinement is done. Refinement usually consumes no more than 10% of the capacity of the Development Team. However, Product Backlog items can be updated at any time by the Product Owner or at the Product Owner’s discretion.

The Sprint Review is an event which involves the Scrum Team and stakeholders, and according to the Scrum Guide…

The result of the Sprint Review is a revised Product Backlog that defines the probable Product Backlog items for the next Sprint. The Product Backlog may also be adjusted overall to meet new opportunities.

So it could be argued that at least some Product Backlog refinement is expected to take place with stakeholders.

11:17 am March 2, 2020

got it ;-)

Thank you so much!

03:17 pm March 2, 2020

I fully agree with it but one of my well known friend who is also the product owner doesn't invite stakeholders. As he says he prefers to separate the Scrum Team and stakeholders as he is the bridge between them

07:17 pm March 3, 2020

It's possible, if there's a good reason why team members shouldn't go out and find them.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.